Chisel wrap recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topconker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, thinking about getting a chisel wrap.
Seems a lot of people don't like the leather ones as they encourage corrosion so what would be you recommendations what and where to buy?
TC

I made a leather one and am quite happy with it .....
It is double walled with suede on the inside, regular leather outside ,
and has more leather from a belt in-between chisels that is stitched through to not get cut .bits shoved in the ends too.
Very happy/surprised with it :D (this is out in the open)

Most other stuff out of leather seems to work too, but these are just bedding at this stage ....
Intended to be customised to particular tools, at first (waste of time doing that for the most part) ...even with extra spaces.
I like the chisel roll and the scraper wallet though ..maybe the saw (wallets?) is just ok
The suede interior seems to be a good idea (my suede)
Most of my leather goods with tools inside sits in sturdy plastic boxes that can stack up making them airtight.
Then there in old beer fridges too...not airtight but kinda

In contrast I made a few quirky plane holsters from leather boots and some are just awful ....
Whatever acid or whatever they do . the leather is corrosive no matter how much oil i POUR into them ..
The leather just drinks it up ...and it still reacts with the bronze too making a copper blue colour excrete .
Bottom line is if your scavenging leather from charity shops ...you don't know what your getting.
And you got's to know your leather ...some is very convincing laminates etc...
Some of these I've found to be corrosive and your thread can rip through them.

You haven't mentioned why you want to protect your tools i.e
Do you plan on leaving them alone for periods of time .
I've found a lot of my tools are better off in the open.
Maybe its a better idea to have them in an unheated place, where the air is the same temperature as the tools.
If warm air hits cold tools it will condense on them and rust ..warm air holds moisture .
Or have a heated tool cabinet where any heat escapes outside to the colder room .

If I had to store tools for a long time I think plastic wrapping would probably be a better solution ...
Provided they don't rip ...
Or fitted boxes which have camphor in them evaporating and always leaving a oil film on tools .

Interested to hear others perspectives

Thanks Tt,
Have always stored my chisels in either clips screwed to the wall or in custom drilled holes in a wooden narrow shelf.
The problem I have is I've just bought a milling machine which sits on the bench and I can't get to my chisels easily now.
TC

Milling machine 8)
Seems like you might want to go traditional with the camphor ...
If ya can stick it :p

Doesn't the leather/corrosion thing depend on how the leather is treated? I seem to remember you can buy untreated or maybe vegetable based treated (?) that don't have the same effects on metal. Having said that, denim might be a good crack.
I wonder if you could get round it another way. I'm not the greatest fan of tool rolls at least for my purpose as a hobby type. Don't have a lot of space and I find they get in the way on what work surface I have. I need to make some racks at some point in my case but I was wondering about trying to source a few of those flatscreen tv bracket arms that extend out from Gumtree whathaveyouaslongastheyarefree.
As a window cleaner I have a lot of time at work to think while I'm hanging off my ropes... Most of it gets filtered and consigned quite rightly to the mental idea scrapheap but I thought this might be a goer. :D Rack my tools out over the wall behind the bench but also have 4 of them tv arms with Dartboard cupboard size type jobbies. I could pull them out and have easy access to chisels, files, whatever I use most. If I'm honest I mostly want to do it so I feel like a Super Villain in my lair. If i ever get round to it, which let's face it I probably never will, I'll tell my imaginary henchman, 'Release tool cupboard 3' Then I will cackle in an evil manner while I pull out said cupboard.

You're welcome to steal my idea. Just be careful you don't end up taking over the World while you're at it. Just saying.

I made a chisel holder out of leather for a 3/16" chisel, years ago. The resulting corrosion munted the chisel.

But as a previous posted says, there must be different curing processes that don't cause that problem. I house some of my chisels in a canvas roll (and the rest in drawers).

Cheers, Vann.

surely a wrap is only really worth while if you intend to travel with them, to a job site sort of thing. it seems a very inefficient way of storing them (bit like having spanners in a roll then putting it in a tool box).

obviously your wifes best cotton T towel would be ideal if you do need to go down this route. :)

Yes, a roll is really only of value if you have to carry them. When I used mine in a communal shop I stored my chisels and planes in a cabinet that opened back against the wall like a dartboard cabinet - it was known as my hangar. :D

Just to add one more experience to the mix - I inherited a collection of carving tools, mostly modern ones by Pfeill. I didn't want them loose in a box, so bought a couple of pretty basic canvas tool rolls from our local toolshop. No memorable brand, just canvas with stitched reinforcements. They were practical for keeping a lot of cutting edges under control and when I did feel like having a go at carving I could clear the bench, unroll them and have all the tools ready to hand.

They are the only tools I have ever had go rusty in the workshop! The tool rolls were in an open topped drawer under the bench. Rust had attacked seemingly at random (maybe in a pattern which made sense when rolled up). I can only conclude that the fabric retained condensed moisture which would otherwise have evaporated.

So, even if you do use rolls to control the chisels, check frequently for rust and consider applying an anti-rust coating or storing the rolls in an airtight box.

if you are sticking them in an air tight box chuck a silica pouch in there too, if the air you've put in the box at the same time as the tool roll has a high humidity it will have lots of nice cold surfaces to condense out on, take in to account the heating cycle and you could see the moist condense and evaporate 2-4 times a day, in a nice enclosed environment. a silica pouch (dirt cheap) will remove this moisture and lock it up (water prison, for naughty water and repeat offenders). cost a few pence for piece of mind, hell could be free if you've just bought the tools and they came in a box with a pouch in the bottom. (note they don't last forever but a year or so from a second hand one is believable)

Stiff cardboard (Weetabix boxes just aren't up to it anymore but used to be the best) wrapped around the chisel with Gaffer tape. Squirt Camellia oil on the inside surface and make sure the end is folded up. Sometimes you need to use stiff gardening wire wrapped around, locking onto the shaft to stop it falling out.

Back