Chisel plane bedding angle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

When I need to pare something near the edge of a board, for example the tip of a dowel, I usually use a chisel flat against the surface of the board (bevel up, of course…)

However, at times the piece to pare is too far away from the edge, or in some inconvenient location, for the chisel to get there because of the handle.

So, I am thinking of building a chisel plane from an old block plane iron I have lying around.

When I searched the net for the general anatomy of a chisel plane, I found that in most of the cases – I found only one exception – the iron is bedded at an angle, anything from 12 degrees in the case of the Lie-Nielsen chisel plane (https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/chisel-plane) up to 45 degrees in some others. Some were BU, and then some were BD.

I would expect a chisel plane to have its lying iron flat on the surface, bevel up, just like when a chisel is used to pare a surface (or at least as I use it, which may be the wrong way…).
I feel that with the iron bedded at any angle there would be a risk of scoring the surface. Besides, there would be the need to re-adjust rather carefully the “depth” of the cut after sharpening, which would not be needed if a BU, flat-on-the-surface-of the wood, iron was used.

Any ideas on the right way to place the iron on a chisel plane?

Thanks

G.

for flush paring in the middle of flat surfaces I made myself a 1-1/2" wide cranked handle chisel with a blade about 3" long.

bridger":2m0ogmvu said:
for flush paring in the middle of flat surfaces I made myself a 1-1/2" wide cranked handle chisel with a blade about 3" long.

Not sure about 1 1/2", but narrower ones are still made, in both short and full-length paring chisel variants. The longer ones crop up fairly regularly on Ebay, too, being a favourite of pattermakers back in the day.

Here's one retailer stocking them - other retailers are available! - http://www.toolnut.co.uk/products/chise ... ed_chisels

The one great merit of chisels is that they're usually cheaper than planes (even at the prices listed above).

bugbear":26hurvy9 said:
GLFaria":26hurvy9 said:
marcros":26hurvy9 said:
i would have agreed with you.

This is a design that I have coveted... http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/ ... hisel.html

I don't know how effective it would be, but it sure is a nice tool. Probably too expensive for its intended purpose?

bugbear":26hurvy9 said:
Can't get lower than the Veritas flush plane design.

BugBear

Why is that?

G.

Because the bedding angle is 0!

BugBear

Thanks, I had missed this one :oops: , it being in the "other products" list (never expected to find a plane of whatever kind there)!
Neither did I remember searching for "flush plane" - the name was not familiar to me.

So, it can work that way.

GLFaria":xqwr8s69 said:
Any ideas on the right way to place the iron on a chisel plane?

Thanks

G.

I suspect that depends entirely on the duty expected of the plane. For flushing off dowels or through tenons in the middle of large panels or carcase sides, as low as can be arranged comensurate with edge strength of the cutting iron. The 3-in-1 shoulder planes by Record (311, I think) and Clifton would be good examples; that size of shoulder plane is a useful addition to anybody's kit, though not a cheap one. The Clifton bed angle is 20 degrees (just measured mine).

Not to put you off making a useful tool but possibly use the chisel bevel down if things are too far away to reach?

Don't ask me where!
I think I have seen a device similar to the Bridge City made by using a plane iron with hand block on the bevelled surface, held with super strong magnets.
The 'push' was achieved by a small rebate in the underside to catch the tail end of the iron.
It was a 'shop made' item.
xy

G S Haydon":1cqto9o1 said:
Not to put you off making a useful tool but possibly use the chisel bevel down if things are too far away to reach?
Thank you, I tried that. But having no 3D eyesight (left eye impaired due to an accident when I was young) and no longer very steady hands makes that practice a hit or miss proposition - more likely a miss. It's difficult enough for me to place the edge of a chisel "on the line", even when it is scored with a cutting knife :(

xy mosian":3p249dy3 said:
Don't ask me where!
I think I have seen a device similar to the Bridge City made by using a plane iron with hand block on the bevelled surface, held with super strong magnets.
The 'push' was achieved by a small rebate in the underside to catch the tail end of the iron.
xy

after seeing that Bridge city flushing plane ^^ this was my next thought to use up an old and pitted woodie plane blade.

Woodcraft has this:

woodcraft.com/aHR0cDovL3d3dy53b29kY3JhZnQuY29tL1Byb2R1Y3QvMTUxMjQwL1dvb2RSaXZlci1DcmFua2VkLU5lY2stQ2hpc2VsLVBsYW5lLVNldC5hc3B4

xy mosian":2wlwk1w6 said:
Don't ask me where!
xy

after seeing that Bridge city flushing plane ^^ this was my next thought to use up an old and pitted woodie plane blade.

It does seem like a good tool to make yourself - a bevel up iron with a block of wood on top. Can't be terribly difficult to make something that serves for less than £45 ?

xy mosian":3qjmdfuq said:
Don't ask me where!
xy

"Inspired" by this, I suspect:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... ,230,41182

(I mentioned it earlier, but it appears some found my allusion elusive)

bugBear

bugbear":3olv1hqe said:
xy mosian":3olv1hqe said:
Don't ask me where!
xy

"Inspired" by this, I suspect:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... ,230,41182

(I mentioned it earlier, but it appears some found my allusion elusive)

bugBear

Sorry Bugbear, I missed that one. Off moment this end.
xy

Latest posts

Back