Chisel ID help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memzey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi again gang.

I picked up quite a nice 1" pairing chisel of the bay a little while ago thinking I'd be able to id it when I got it home. Nope. It has a tree logo I haven't seen before but is cast steel, warrented Sheffield. Pictures below. Any help would be much appreciated:

It's a decent user by the way but not quite as nice as a Ward.

I've a non-mawhood chisel with a palm tree on it.

F.T.B.Lawson, Sheffield

Will dig it out later and take a picture.

memzey":3mgw29ia said:
Hi again gang.

I picked up quite a nice 1" pairing chisel of the bay a little while ago thinking I'd be able to id it when I got it home. Nope. It has a tree logo I haven't seen before but is cast steel, warrented Sheffield. Pictures below. Any help would be much appreciated:
It's a decent user by the way but not quite as nice as a Ward.

I would try some paint stripper and a pointed tool (e.g. scratch awl, or just a nail filed sharp), to clean up the letters and the logo. I also use a brass brush, the type used for suede shoes, for final clean up.

BugBear

Here's a Mawhood

5867ea6a7cbf3f8d31ba5100173f9b1f.jpg

100bdc2df2e6a55b3cd77a3231e05d6c.jpg

Palm tree on an island?

Rod

Sample found on the 'net:

Mawhoods-palmtree.jpg

OP's logo is a fair match for the right hand one.

BugBear

Attachments

• Mawhoods-palmtree.jpg
    Mawhoods-palmtree.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,015
Thanks Mr P I think it might be F.T.B. Lawson looking at it. Anyone know anything about this brand?

According to the ever useful Grace's Guide, FTB Lawson were a tool dealer in Plymouth, not a manufacturer.

So I suggest that it's probably a chisel made by Mawhood, marked with their palm tree mark, and also marked with Lawson's name, as the reseller.

I've seen examples of this on saws, not so many on chisels, but it does look like a bit of "OEM" branding to me.

The Proff. comes through as always! Thanks guys that's cleared things up for me nicely. From that era I don't think many bad chisels came out of Sheffield but Mawhood is a new one on me. It's a good user and has a nice large boxwood handle but as I said it's not as fine as a Ward. Are they generally well thought of?

Mawhood have a pretty good reputation, top of the mid range I'd say. Think Sheffield steel is pretty much Sheffield steel, I've tried most of the makes its not the steel its the finess in finishing that makes the difference imvho. I've got more parring chisels than I need but usually reach for a wafer thin Robert Sorby.

Here is my Lawson, can't really comment on this one, its a long gouge and I've never found a use for it.

ftb.jpg

Apologies not my best pic, battery low so no flash and artificial lighting not a winning combination.

Attachments

• ftb.jpg
    ftb.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 940
Back