Chestnut Buffing wheels, is this right?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Axminster K10 and the S/P chucks and I turn a lot 25mm alaminum for anything like the mandrel I always use the step jaws

woodyturner":2k3dlj24 said:
I have the Axminster K10 and the S/P chucks and I turn a lot 25mm alaminum for anything like the mandrel I always use the step jaws

Yep thats pretty much the conclusion I can to, they hold the bar true and firmly, might get some of the integrated step jaw/carriers, which would make life a bit easier.

woodyturner":3dnffwgh said:
Ideal if you are specifically holding metal for turning but I doubt they are a common tool kit item for most wood turners. And do of course require the changing of the jaw/carriers for most folks who have been turning wood, something that is rather a bind if you have just finished a turning and want to give it a quick buff up.
Hence the desire to be able to just mount the mandrel without having to adjust the jaws to accommodate it.

CHJ":3k73z46x said:
woodyturner":3k73z46x said:
Ideal if you are specifically holding metal for turning but I doubt they are a common tool kit item for most wood turners. And do of course require the changing of the jaw/carriers for most folks who have been turning wood, something that is rather a bind if you have just finished a turning and want to give it a quick buff up.
Hence the desire to be able to just mount the mandrel without having to adjust the jaws to accommodate it.
Not all of them do http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-in ... prod21596/ but there is another alternative with all three buffing wheels on a bit of threaded stud with a wooden MT on one end and an indent on the other end put between centers and it takes seconds to set up

woodyturner":2hjllnlg said:

Ahh, cross purposes a bit, for steped jaws I read standard engineering style jaws.
200038_l.jpg

CHJ":39b6jwsj said:
woodyturner":39b6jwsj said:

Ahh, cross purposes a bit, for steped jaws I read standard engineering style jaws.
200038_l.jpg

They are the jaws that I use but as I said not all of them need for the carriers to be removed also I now understand what you were saying a lot of messing around just for a quick buff I have a pig tail and mop on one side of my slow grinder fore that but than not every body has one of them we can only share and hope it is of help to someone

Glad to hear you are using mops on a SLOW grinder.
Not too happy when I've seen loose mops used on a standard speed grinder, stiched mops may be fine and not let go but Loose mops are pushing it a bit in the 3000 rpm region of a standard one I think.

Latest posts

Back