Cherry Extending Dining Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't mind at all.
Tables are basically an easy constructional piece. After all it's just a frame with legs and a flat top. But getting the top to be flat and square is hard. Different if you have loads of space and its possible to make all the top pieces in one and then cut them, but I don't have the space or a big enough table saw to get 7ft long table weighing half a ton onto it. So I had to make all the top three pieces separately and then square and level them - that's what took me most of the time.

You'll need 'sign-off' from the missus if your'e going to make it in cherry and walnut - costs a fair bit.

Good luck.

Don't mind at all.
Tables are basically an easy constructional piece. After all it's just a frame with legs and a flat top. But getting the top to be flat and square is hard. Different if you have loads of space and its possible to make all the top pieces in one and then cut them, but I don't have the space or a big enough table saw to get 7ft long table weighing half a ton onto it. So I had to make all the top three pieces separately and then square and level them - that's what took me most of the time.

You'll need 'sign-off' from the missus if your'e going to make it in cherry and walnut - costs a fair bit.

Good luck.

Don't mind at all.

Good luck.

Cherry from sl hardwood is ~£155 for 12m (my local dosen't stock it and I don't know if they can get it) then my thinking was the walnut would be 12mm deep x 25mm wide setout as in the above pics. I have 25x100x2800mm of walnut in the garage and it was ~£18.

So I reckon ~£200 for the wood and parts. Which as I pointed out to the missus is a lot less than you would pay in habitat etc for a solid <insertWoodHere> table.

Since this is ahobby for me I don't count time but then due to how slow I am noone could afford me if I was a trying to make a living.. :D

Yes I reckon it cost £200 plus the hardware, so about £240 all in. As you say a load cheaper than buying one like that if indeed you could find one as well made!

hi, that table is real nice, it's given me an idea as i just happen to have some cherry boards in the wood store about 30 mm thick,oh darn more work :lol: ,jb.

Latest posts

Back