Cherry cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a start on two new cabinets today and it's a new one for me as they are in Cherry. :shock: Again I used the Domino as the carcasses are in veneered board. Started the day by cutting out the pieces for each of the cabinets.

I then cut the rebate at the rear which will house the back panel. This will be in 18mm as it will be hung from a wall.

Next I attacked it with the Domino putting in the slots for the horizontal pieces.

There will be a small mirrored cabinet with glass shelves and this was given the same treatment with the addition of holes for the adjustable shelves.

With all the pieces cut I had a dry fit using some sanded Dominos to make sure I could remove them again.

There will be a painted door on the bottom of this unit so I cut some MDF to size for this.

Tomorrow I shall be lipping the edges of the panels with solid wood and adding the cornice and plinth. When this is complete I shall put a finish on the insides before assembling the unit. ;) I will as usual keep you posted. ;)

mailee":3dwtgnxp said:
When this is complete I shall put a finish on the insides before assembling the unit. ;) I will as usual keep you posted. ;)

Do you ever get one of those (homer) Doh....... moments when you read stuff like this ?

From that comment I take it you assemble first then apply the finish? Today I got all the insides of the units in a finish and started to assemble it. I could have done with two pair of hands for this job.

While these were in a glue up I did some work on the book case. (I shall post that in the WIP for that item.)
later this afternoon I took them both out of the clamps ready for the mouldings, door, and the finish on the outsides.

This small one will have a mirrored door on the front.

I have applied a sealer to the outside of the units and will give them a good sanding tomorrow ready for the finish. :D

I had a half day today at work but did manage to get the mouldings on and the door in a coat of primer.

I am now waiting for some more lacquer but will get the door finished on Monday.

I lipped the door for the small cabinet which will hold the mirror and then gave it a good sanding.

(Yes I know, it's my 'new' Festool ROS! :eek: I really am on that slippery green and white slope) :lol:
I then made up the moulding to the top of the cabinet.

Finally I routed a finger groove in the side of the door due to it having a full mirror on the front. (Which I have just ordered)

When the mirror and glass shelves arrive I will have the finish on and ready to go. :D

Thanks Graham, it is a very nice wood. I got the finish on the units today. I also got the door hung on the small cabinet.

I put a top coat on the white door and will polish it up tomorrow and hang it. just waiting for the mirror and glass now. :D

Always good to see your WIP's Alan, and you make it all seem so easy and effortless !

Cheers, Paul

Fyi those are the sanders we use at work. .. they take a lot of punishment, bounce regularly on the floor..... but still go another round!

A couple have had the pads on the bottom replaced due to dropping. .. they get very bad vibration if it needs replacing
And a set of brushes went on mine.
But I think they're a really good ros.

Well Melinda, they do have a good reputation they will need it with me as I kill them. :lol:
I finished the tall cherry cabinet yesterday but hadn't taken any shots of it so here are a couple ready for fitting.

Alan,

I have to say I am dissapointed by this. It just looks too Ikea. Sorry.

There is so much nice wood on show but nothing to show good joinery. And I really don't like the white door!

You have been doing a lot of good stuff recently - the aquarium stand and that odd table were quality and quirky/cool, and the curved side cupboard was cool, but this speaks of a rushed job :?

Please get back to the good stuff!

H.

mailee":91634hdi said:
Sorry guys, but I can't choose what the customer wants. This is what he wanted and this is what he got.

Well you have to start being more assertive :)
Seriously, your work is amazing.
I don't comment usually, but putting doors on your craftsmanship, is like giving the Mona Lisa a quick coat of emulsion.
I understand about it being the customers choice and I know some cabinet makers/carpenters prefer to conceal the construction method (like the two lads with the double mitred dining table).
But to be honest if I could produce the quality of work you folks do. I would make the customer store that table upside down until they needed it, or put a mirror under it to show the joints off :)
Same with your work.

Please don't be offended it was said with admiration and a fair amount of envy.

Rich

Blimey. :roll:

It's quality work that most on here would be lucky to be able to produce, constructed to a clients requirements.

Too many arm chair nail bashers round here. Doesn't matter if it is to your taste, it's not in your house.

Tell 'em to 'jog on'

Looks great! Makes a nice contrast, and nothing wrong with Ikea.....

Russ

Nothing wrong with having an opinion as long as people aren't getting bashed (hammer)

I'm sure if the customer had wanted a dovetailed carcase with a raised panel door then alan would of made them one wouldn't he.

Back