Cherry and Lacewood humidor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ddashk":bep7wpiw said:
why did you finish the inside faces if they were to be covered?

The inside is only covered in the bottom half, and it is as easy to finish the whole of the inside. As well as that, "balancing" the finish inside and out should make it more stable in the long term. At least I hope so.

PaulO wrote:
These are the screws that come with the Brusso hinges, they are nicely polished. Can you recommend a supplier of a good slotted alternative? Preferably with an identical steel cousin to run in first.

In the past I have polished my own slotted screws, I do the polishing by holding the screw in some soft jaws, and use a set of polishing mops with finer and finer compound. The problem is finding a screw that fits the hinge countersink correctly.
I have a pretty large selection of good quality brass screws and as you say it's finding the right size c/s head that's the problem. In many cases a No6 is too large and a No4 too small...a No5 would be spot on but I don't know if such things are available still. The steel screw doesn't have to be identical, as long as it's the same gauge to cut a thread in the timber - Rob

woodbloke":29qghp4e said:
I have a pretty large selection of good quality brass screws and as you say it's finding the right size c/s head that's the problem. In many cases a No6 is too large and a No4 too small...

Just measured the Brusso screws, and they seem to sit somewhere between #2 and #3. Still need to find a supplier of decent screws though.

Thanks for your help.

Back