cheltenham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all taking the SWMBO for a weekend, well a night away to cheltenham
question thats got to be asked is are there any tool shops worth a visit tewkesbury saw co is close but some thing in town would be good :D

not that i know of in cheltenham. Bell Tools in gloucester do a decent range of stuff, but not 'fine' hand tools in the sense of veritas etc.

cheers,

ike

It's not a toolshop, but I'd recommend a visit to the Cheltenham museum and gallery. They have a good collection of arts and crafts, including furniture, by people like William Morris, Edward Gimson, Sidney and Ernest Barnsley. It could be inspirational, and admission is free!
Have a look on line at
http://www.cheltenhammuseum.org.uk/artcrafts.aspx?nav=guide.

Andy

I agree with the above. Tewkesbury Saw's good, and they probably need all the support they can get after the floods. There's also Toolite in Mitcheldean, which isn't far away, but I've never visited it. The museum is excellent too, and it's right in the centre of Cheltenham. There's a coffee shop there too that does nice hot chocolate.

If you're desperate you can come and say hello to us in Cirencester (only 15 miles away) and help me tidy up my workshop!!!!!

Have a good weekend.

Nick

I've just remembered that you might want to see if the carver, Ian Norbury's gallery is open on Saturdays. I'm not sure what they exhibit there now, but it's called White Knight Gallery at 28 Painswick Road, Cheltenham, 01242 238582.

Nick

thanks all for your replies. dont look like we gonna get there till 3 ish so not much time to do much :( always the bar :D

I wish I'd seen this on Friday Lugo, we've just come home. Smashing weekend - Michael Wood, Michael Palin, somebody on about Blake and Simon Hoggart. A couple of good restaurants into the bargain.

Didn't find any tool shops, but there are several excellent cookware shops, I've been spending SWMBO's money a bit. Lots to drool over. I resisted the £140 wok though, nice though it was.

Pity, we could have met up.

Cheers
Steve

glad you had good weekend ours was bit of a disaster.
whole idea was to chill out sauna etc. arrived at thistle cheltenham to be told they over booked and we have been moved to another hotel with same facilities. you guessed it no facilities at all. they were very helpfull tho will never stay in a thistle hotel or recomend them again :evil:

Back