Cheap Router Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Now I don't spend all day watching the telly, really I don't, but this caught my eye when channel-hopping recently.

There is a channel called Yes Price Crash, which appears to offer own-brand goods on a website at one price (expensive) but if you ring them up and ask nicely they sell you the exact same product at a fraction of the price. Sometimes BOGOFs too.

The image that caught my eye was this 50-piece set:
http://www.yes661.com/prodDetail.asp?id=15051

If you buy off the web it's £118, but over the phone it is £28+p&p. Go figure, seems a strange business model to me.

I can't imagine that the quality is like Titman's, but for anyone starting out it could be a useful kit.

I have to admit Steve that I still have some cheap router cutters that I bought from my local No Frills and they are still cutting after four months! As you state they would be ideal for anyone starting out in routing. Cheap can sometimes be good value as I have bought a few items from Lidl in the past and have been surprised at the quality for the price. How do they do it?

Steve Maskery":so4h2sx1 said:
If you buy off the web it's £118, but over the phone it is £28+p&p. Go figure, seems a strange business model to me.

Maybe it's just so they can say "sale price" on TV or "sold elsewhere at £118" and so on.

I have a similar set I bought from Argos a while back. They aren't particularly good, one or two even broke (fortunately without disastrous consequences, suspect I was pushing them a bit too hard) but nevertheless very handy to have. It's worth paying for bits you are going to use a lot, but this is a great backup when you need something for a one-off...

Thanks Seaco

just bought a set for £24.50, less than 50p per bit, including postage.
For that money they don't have to last very long to pay for themselves :lol:

Cheers

Julian

Cheap sets are the way to go IMHO I knock the cr*p out of them with MDF and still have cutters 5 years old that have taken the MDF abuse .
Ive also had "quality" cutters that have snapped within 20 seconds .... But thats another Trend story !

I like really cheap router bits (usually form B& for me) as they cut aluminium nicely, with route ron lowest speed, and you can simply throw them away with qualms after a few cuts

Latest posts

Back