Cheap alternative to laminate ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
hello,

i was at work today and i was looking for a finish that is very smooth and resistant. i was then thinking about a surface to apply this finish to and i thought about hardboard, but what about using White faced hardboard?

it's low friction (white) and looks like laminate. and best of all it only costs me £6.44 a sheet (8x4"). i am hoping it will serve well as a sacrificial fecnce and as a new bed for the thicknesser.

i am going to order a sheet and se how i get on, at that price i cant go wrong, as long as i back it with 12.5mm birch ply it should be ok.

the only things that did cross my mind was how to apply it to the backing (gripfill,contact adhisive,PVA?) and should i take the ridges out of its back?

any thoughts welcome.

thanks

Hi Neil - I used some last weekend to box in some lights above a fitted wardrobe (saved having to paint it.. :wink: )
Left the ridges on,used Titebond,stuck to the timber framework very nicely.

Don't know how well it will last,but as you said,it's worth trying out at that price.

Andrew

don't know about the painted hardboard but when laying hardboard to even out flooring it needs to be soaked so that it tightens up after it is fixed as it dries

yeah, good point.

any other ideas? or do you know of a cheap surplyer of laminate?

neil

maybe it don't matter on a small bit may be ok

when needing to rase my thicknesser bed to cut thin bits (3mm) I use 12mm ply (because I have that thickness) and spray it with PTEF (dry lubricant)

Watch out that it is melamine-faced hardboard, not painted. The melamine faced stuff is a lot harder wearing

Scrit

Agree with scrit, I can get painted that is a very light fluffy hardboard and the mel face which is a much heavier denser board and the surface is much smoother.

Have you thoughy about a couple of boards of laminate flooring, probably wont even need backing.

I use a bit of conti or MFC if I need to raise my thicknesser for thin work, just don't go too thin as it will chew it up and spit it out :cry:

Jason

The other point you may wish to consider, Neil, is curvature. If you glue your saface material to a backboard like ply, you may find that the whole thing cups. Consider doing the same to the oter face of the play to keep the stesses equal and maintain flatness.

I too use a secondary tabl in my thicknesser, like Jason, and find it invaluable. I can thickness down to about 5mm oor so before catastrophe strikes. Depends on the material of course.

Back