Channel four now.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plug

Established Member
Reaction score
How Britain worked, on Gayle Mill. Making a wooden bike.

Typical cr*p mainstream TV. The actual stuff about history, making the bike etc is less than about 15 min of the programme, the rest is just waffle. Weird presenting style with him seemingly talking to himself or some person off-camera at the same time.

I do like Guy Martin. if you want to see something really good then check BBC IPlayer, they're showing Fred Dibnah's Building of Britain. Latest episode is The Age of the Carpenter.

The other thing about Guy Martin is that he knows engineering. Not only is he a world class motorbike racer, but the family has a truck repair business and Guy cut his teeth there as a mechanic. He does a lot of his own work on his bikes too, or used to.

He can be a bit, er, "earthy" at times, but his attitude is great and you can't help warming to him. He always has a huge following at the Manx TT, too.

I remeber wandering around the outside of Gayle mill when it was derelict, back in the 1990s (we had a holiday let in Gayle just across the river). I was so hoping then that it wouldn't get turned into flats or some outpost of Jamie Oliver's empire. The restoration looks completely brilliant - all they need now is trees (there aren't a lot round there!).

E.

Latest posts

Back