Chair leg advice for a friend.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice for a friend of who posted a query on another forum, it involves her wooden chairleg so i thought i'd ask here for advice.

It's a bit of a long shot, but i thought i'd try anyway.

Heres her initial post....

"Well I ended up spending a big chunk of yesterday trying to find a replacement for a dining chair that Hubby managed to break. He put all the chairs upside down on the table (the seat pad flat on the table with the legs up in the air and the chair back hanging down towards the floor) so he could clean the floor (he is a real angel) and one of them fell off and the leg broke in half

We bought the dining set from homebase at the end of 2005 (my Grandparents gave us the money for it) and it wis called Ohio - it looks the same as the javia set from argos or the zen set that homebase do now.

I phoned homebase yesterday and they were so useless it was like banging my head against a brick wall. So basically if anybody knows anyone that is renewing their dining chairs and has one of these for sale (or that they are throwing / giving away) please can you let me know as I cannot buy one chair on its own (and i dont really want to buy 2 chairs to have 1 sitting around -excuse the pun - lol)

I have put a wanted thing on ebay and been on freecycle for a look (nothing there) and been on the sheffield and doncaster forums with wanted (and scoured their items for sale and free) and nothing.
Any other ideas would be welcomed - thank you for reading this far."

I'm not sure if it's a clean break or not, but if it is, is it ok to use a strong wood glue on it, or is it best not risking it if there is going to be stress placed upon it again in the future?

If yes to the glueing, any recommendations on the best glue to use?

Thanks for any help.

Calv.

If it's a clean break,strengthen it with a dowel or two (space permitting) - provides positive location,increases glue area.
Any ordinary wood glue should do (PVA/Titebond etc.)

Andrew

Calv

As PowerTool said, dowels would stregthen the joint. If possible you could also use a short pice of iron/steel rod with an epoxy resin glue to make the joint even stronger.

It does not really matter if it is a clean break just make sure to the holes line up properly on both sides. A cheat i have used a few times is to drill the holes slightly bigger that the steel rod (This allows for fine ajustment) Lots of epoxy glue. Squeeze together tightly and clamp if possible wipe away as much epoxy as possible and when set remove remaining epoxy carefully.

Hope this helps

Jock

Back