Chainsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all & a very merry Christmas,

Anyone know a bit about chainsaws?

I'm thinking about getting one - probably via ebay, for collecting tree trunks from the shoreline here (firewood), and also for cutting reclaimed stuff to length on site.

Last time I had to do this I hired a generator and took along a circular saw - figured this would cut out the middleman!

Don't need much bar length. Recomendations as to length/power/make and sundry information would be appreciated.

Chris.

If you have got power on site then an alligator saw is a lot safer, I've used them on 6x6 oak though not as fast as a chainsaw.

If you go the chainsaw route then a 14-16" bar will be ample for logs and large timbers, I have an old Tenaka with 16" bar that is ideal for oak framing and a 24" Husky for bigger tree work/slabbing.

Don't forget to allow for safety gear a minimum of helmet/eardefender/mesh face guard, gloves and trowsers/chaps and a stout pair of boots.

Make wise either Sthil or Husquarna will be better than what is sold in the sheds

Jason

The whole idea was to be independent of a power supply, I should have said.

As for safety - Hard Hat + mesh visor, Muffs, Boots etc. But Im not going for the whole chain mail suit approach........sorry if I offend anyone, but this is very occasional use and I'm a very careful and safety concious person.

I think Jason's pretty much summed it up. When I finally gave up with the old Tondu that my dad bought 20+ years ago (I only used it occasionally and it seemed that it had a new fault every time I needed it), I researched the market and concluded after reading a lot of comments on usenet etc, that Stihl and Husqvarna are probably the best quality manufacturers on the market.

When it came to decision time I went for a Stihl 'semi-pro' type on the basis that one of their bigger dealers and service centres is local to me whereas the local Husky dealer failed to promptly reply to my inquiries.

I've been very pleased with my choice, having used it occasionally for a couple of years for cutting firewood and preparing turning blanks. It's a pleasure to use compared to the Tondu; creates less exhaust fumes (needs less 2-stroke oil), has more power, and filling the petrol and oil tanks is a lot easier.

Cheers,

Neil

Edit: removed safety comments - I hadn't seen your reply above when I wrote my response, although I'd still recommend taking all reasonable precautions since chainsaws are potentially lethal machines.

Stick to the better quality makes such as Stihl or Husqy, much easier to start, handle and maintain.

Avoid the shed specials like the plague they are such a chore to use you will probably find you don't bother after the first couple of sessions !

Safety gear, including trousers etc essential, especially as you will be an occassional and therefore inexperienced user.

Check out here for more info on technique etc

http://www.husqvarna.co.uk/

Cheers, Paul :D

my pals got a new husky 137, he had one stolen, so replaced it with the same , hes used most chain saws and reckons pound for pound theyre the best,if your serious , do a course and get yourself the safety clothes and helmet, also reccomends an anti kickback chain,the saws on offer for £145 its the other gear that costs, but you cant put a price on your limbs!! take care scrums,im seriously thinking about it myself.but the course comes first, have a merry christmas lads.

Scrums":1z4iys6e said:
The whole idea was to be independent of a power supply, I should have said.

As for safety - Hard Hat + mesh visor, Muffs, Boots etc. But Im not going for the whole chain mail suit approach........sorry if I offend anyone, but this is very occasional use and I'm a very careful and safety concious person.
hey id get a suit of armour mate

I've got the little Husqui with a 15" bar - cuts everything i've used it on, including 200-year-old teak, like a demon. I must say I only used to go for the full safety gear if I was cutting stuff above knee height, or stuff that might move when being cut - fallen trees etc. But now, I wouldn't be without it. An ex-girlfriend once worked in casualty, and her descriptions of saw injuries were enough to convince me of the need for the magic trousers at all chainsaw-related times (mind you, she also turned pale at the sight of a table saw...)

Seem to remember seeing a sthil advert in the last week or so where you get full safety kit FOC when buying a saw, have a look in the sunday supliments may still be on offer.

Jason

Bought a McCulloch petrol one from B&Q a couple of years ago. Very disappointed. Even when you 'phone up the McCulloch people it's like talking to an silly person. Gone back to using a hand saw - it's quicker :shock: :shock: Should have got a Stihl and probably will eventually.

Cheers :ho2

Paul

Paul Chapman":2prt8a8g said:
Even when you 'phone up the McCulloch people it's like talking to an silly person.

Cheers :ho2

Paul

That is because you ARE talking to an silly person.

For only once a month use I thought I'd get a Ryobi chainsaw. 18" bar, not too expensive. Had it for about 15 mins and returned it. Bought a used Husky 55 18"er. Superb. Night and day difference. I'm sure the Ryobi would do it's job but it just felt lightweight and lacked quality.
Go for a Husky or Stihl. I'm sure you could find a used one locally. If you buy new stay away from the American grey imports. No factory back-up and different carb to the European models. They are packaged in different coloured boxes from the kosher ones.

Thanks for that - It seems either Husky or Stihl.......prob' Husky.

I believe the UK ones are in Grey boxes, the US in Blue. Apparently our petrol is much inferior to that of the US and a US model has very short life expectancy in this country.

Best price I've seen on the smaller Husky so far is £149 - though I did see a 400 series @ £250 ish with full safety gear thrown in.

I would say a sthyl or a makita saw, and if possible safety gear, you are taking your limbs into your own hands without but I must have to confess that i haven't worn the safety gear! I once saw a guy in sandals using a chain saw but couldn't watch and wait for the accident so left him to it!!

Also a basic course is a good idea if a little dear! Certainly to get your licience it is in the hundreads!

Cheers

Dave

Scrums,

FWIW I would go for the Stihl, I've had one for just over a year and never had any probs. You can tell that they know their business in so many ways, e.g. When you need to add fuel.

In Czechland nearly evryone who doesn't live in a city has a chainsaw and they are all Stihl or Husky, they are also lunatics when it comes to safety gear, that is to say they don't use it :shock:

There are no user courses available here, I use a hard hat, ear defenders, and heavy steel toe boots. I don't have the trousers.

Needless to say I'm pretty damm careful about how & where I use it.

WoodStoat":2rvat3yq said:
I've got the little Husqui with a 15" bar - cuts everything i've used it on, including 200-year-old teak, like a demon. I must say I only used to go for the full safety gear if I was cutting stuff above knee height, or stuff that might move when being cut - fallen trees etc. But now, I wouldn't be without it. An ex-girlfriend once worked in casualty, and her descriptions of saw injuries were enough to convince me of the need for the magic trousers at all chainsaw-related times (mind you, she also turned pale at the sight of a table saw...)

I'd agree with that. I've got a 24" Stihl and used to use it with no protective clothing. Now, I'm older and wiser (or maybe more of a wuss) I think I'll be getting some trousers and boots the next time I use it. Definately tools that require total respect.

dont forget the strong peaked helmet, husky do some tough gear as im sure stihl do, kickbacks can be caused sometimes by the grain binde in wood to the structure of some woods when wet/damp can cause a strong bite on the chain,then can let go causing the saw to want to jump over your shoulder/head,,dont bu put off, the best safety tips ive heard is always have an element of fear, as the old familiarity thing and accidents, have a good un anyway bud all the best for the new year,

I'd like to know what they put in those trousers and how good they are at stopping you cutting your legs off?

I also think those orange Husqvarna Boots look cool :D

Some of the chainsaw trousers are filled with Kevlar - it effectively slows the saw down and clogs the teeth (hopefully stopping before it reaches your skin.. :shock: )
I used to work on a farm,and went logging every autumn (back in the days of "real" fires) which was a combination of chainsaws and tractor-driven tablesaws - like all tools,they are safe if you treat them with the respect they deserve.
Oddly enough,I've cut myself from time to time with handtools,but never with a powered one.

Andrew

scooby":el8g3ejb said:
I'd like to know what they put in those trousers and how good they are at stopping you cutting your legs off?

I also think those orange Husqvarna Boots look cool :D
have you broken your arm as a kid? i did several times up trees etc,when in hospital before they put on a cast they put a thickish cotton wool bandage on first followed by the plaster, it was only when i went to have the cast replaced i knew what it was for! i crapped myself it was a saw blade quite small attatched to a dremmel looking tool, then the doctor just ground through the plaster from wrist to elbow, i guess the cotton wool bandage acted like a clutch sort of thing,,ive seen the trousers ,an old ripped pair they had a stuffing in them too that delayed the blade from an instant bad accident,

Back