Centre Steadys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreToolsPlease

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Continuing on from my lathe help topic, I'm now wondering about centre steadies.
The axminster ccbl shows one as an accessory. but none of the other lathes do.
I might be able to get my hands on a axminster m950 lathe,
Is this lathe much better than the ccbl?
With this lathe, will the same centre steady work?
OR do axminster list one for that particular lathe as I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Also, when you are turning, do you have to keep moving it to acess all of the work piece you are turning?
Thanks

Matt

Matt,

Well, I think we are into the APTC White vs Perform range debate here. According to APTC the White range are finished to a higher standard than the perform range, ie better bearings / higher spec motor / quality of finish on castings etc etc. Having compared the ranges at the show there is certainly a difference in the finish. But, having said that Chas (CHJ) has a perform lathe and continues to turn out (sorry) some top class stuff and he does not seen to keep to lace bobbins and light-pull either so there is no question the perform machine will take it.

I had a M900 prior to upgrading and was very pleased with it (the only reason I upgraded was I was offered a lathe at I price I could not refuse).

Regarding the steady, IF you need one (and unless you plan to turn very long slender items (pool cues etc) then the fit will depend on the centre height and the gap in the bed being the same. I suggest giving APTC a bell, they are usually very helpful.

If it does not fit and you do want one then a slab on mdf, 3 in-line roller skate wheels and a couple of wing bolts is the usual method!

Simon,
You guessed right, thats exactly what im planning on turning, pool cues.
The actual spec of the 2 motors seems to be more in favour of the perform,
I'm jus stumped as to what is actually £200 +- better about the m950 instead of the perform!

Beware judging motors by power alone. A high quality, continuous rated motor can cost 10x that of a similarly rated budget motor. The same goes for bearings etc etc.

I think you said you had a s/hand 950 offered. I would think seriously about it (especially if it comes with any tools / chucks) etc as it could be a very good buy.

It really depends on what you plan to do with it. If it will be half a dozen cues and a couple of door handles a year then the perform will be ideal, however if you plan to turn 5d/wk for 48 wk/y then it may get a little tired. Give the APTC tech sales line a bell - after all, they are there to answer just these sort of questions. Let us know what they say (but keep in mind they do have a vested interest !!)

Also, have a look through the previous posts on this forum, there is plenty on the perform lathes.

Back