Central heating oil is a lot more volatile than you think

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
DAMHIKT.

We all know how volatile petrol is. I always thought that central heating oil was a rather lethargic cousin in terms of volatility.

Part of the renovation work at the cottage saw the demise of an old very large metal oil tank for the boiler. I'd drained about 60 litres of oil from it and had about 3 litres left. I'd also managed to angle grind quite a few panels away to make it lighter (after venting it). We managed to manhandle the tank down onto level ground but because it was so heavy we left it between the garage and the house.

What to do about the remaining oil? I had the brainwave of soaking up a bit of the oil into a cloth, setting light to it and then putting it into the oil, thinking that the cloth would act like a very large wick, draw up the oil as it burned away until there was nothing left.

So I did this. It seemed to be burning quite quietly and I wandered off and forgot all about it. Luckily for me I toddled back about 10 minutes later to see flames leaping out of the top of the tank, licking hungrily at the eaves of the house and the oil boiling and having a whale of a time.

Basically this silly person had created a very large chip pan fire :oops: :oops:

Quite calmly, all things considered, I went and got some old curtains that were lying around in the garden and which were sopping wet. I tossed them onto the oil and managed to put out some of the flames but not all. More curtains followed and then some more until finally it was out but it was a devil to put out.

In hindsight, the heat from the burning cloth in close proximity to the oil gradually heated it up until it reached ignition point and meltdown.

Shadowfax...if you read this then you'd be well within your rights to call me an absolute plonker.

I tossed them onto the oil

That's not how it's done Roger :shock: , smother the flames to deny oxygen. :)

Roger Sinden":1cz6hthh said:
I went and got some old curtains that were lying around in the garden and which were sopping wet. I tossed them onto the oil and managed to put out some of the flames but not all. More curtains followed and then some more until finally it was out but it was a devil to put out.

Good God you were lucky.

When I did my firefighting training at HMS Phoenix way back, the most exciting thing was watching the fireball that occurs when water is put onto diesel/ oil. At least one of the trainees who didn't get down quick enough when told lost eyebrows. The diesel was thirty feet from us.....

Glad you are okay - where's that apprentice of yours when you need him?

Cheers

Tim

Oh Roger!!
If you get the chance - don't do that again!
Glad you are all right, though.
Exciting, firefighting, isn't it?
I don't remember any old curtains being mentioned in the manuals of firemanship, though!
Foam, yes. Curtains, no!
Cheers.

SF

Roger, you seem to have quite a friendship going with fire don't you? It was you who set fire to your chimney wasn't it?

What's next then?

Dave

Nice one Roger, it was also you that managed to box yourself into a room wasn't it?
What with this and CNC Pauls's workshop shutter story I've had a good giggle today.

Andy

Latest posts

Back