Celtic/long grind or what ever else you want to call it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEP

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last few days the long grind topic has raised it's ugly head again. I am not professing to be a expert, but thought I would put together how I treat my spindle/bowl gouges with there long winged grind.

IMO too much emphasis is put on the angle of this, the angle of that. If you are a professional turner with 20 years or more under his belt, you may be able to tell the difference of a few degrees on a gouge tip, but as a hobby turner I defy any to get a better cut with their tip, my tip, or anyone else's, as long as they are sharp.

My sharpening rig is similar to the Oneway Wolverine, but only in as much it has a short arm into which a jig fits to enable me to swing a gouge round to achieve a consistent long grind on the wings. The actual jig that holds the tool is a copy of the Hamlet jig which I made in wood and steel, and as such has a fixed leg, so no adjustment. Only my spindle and bowl gouges are sharpened in this jig. All other chisels are shaped/sharpened on a adjustable flat table.

I decided on the Hamlet design to keep it as simple as possible with no adjustment to bother with. The only adjustment is on the extension arm once all is set up. Hamlet operating instructions.

I have tried to explain how I initially shape a new gouge, but have trouble understanding myself, so how others manage I don't know. :roll:

So remembering a video I had seen have shopped around and found it again. Hope this will give all an idea of how to shape a long grind spindle/bowl gouge, but treat it all with a bit of tongue in cheek. Long Grind Video's

If you notice he fixes the leg at approx. 45 deg. And it stays there through the whole procedure. SO WHY MAKE IT MOVEABLE? IMO it only helps to confuse things. Also if you feel the need to have a separate jig for spindle and bowl gouges, just make 2, one with the leg at 45 deg. for the bowl gouge, and another at a different angle for the spindle gouge. Personally all I do is move the lower rest arm in closer to the wheel when sharpening a spindle gouge, and have worked with these grinds for a few years now.

I agree that if you have differing angles on separate chisels you would need the movable leg, but if you initially grind with the one angle for all, and just move the lower rest arm in or out to change the nose angle, you won’t need the extra adjustment.

My Hamlet/Ellsworth copy -

TEP":3gw8kijf said:
IMO too much emphasis is put on the angle of this, the angle of that. If you are a professional turner with 20 years or more under his belt, you may be able to tell the difference of a few degrees on a gouge tip, but as a hobby turner I defy any to get a better cut with their tip, my tip, or anyone else's, as long as they are sharp.

Tend to agree with you Tam, but I do find it a significant help inside deep bowls to have a differing nose angle for the transition from side to base and across the base, the same angle used on the sides would throw my gouges at an awkward angle for me. But I would agree the precise angle is immaterial as long as it works for your preferred hold/presentation of the tool.

TEP":pc67g6up said:
IMO ... I defy any to get a better cut with their tip, my tip, or anyone else's, as long as they are sharp....

Sounds like a fun idea for a turning bash Tam :wink:

Never been one to measure angles... just pick up the tool and if it doesn't work, pick up another... if that doesn't cut it, experiment with a grind that will.

Have fun!

Mornin' Chas.

Chas":2j7srnbg said:
but I do find it a significant help inside deep bowls to have a differing nose angle for the transition from side to base and across the base, the same angle used on the sides would throw my gouges at an awkward angle for me.

I agree, on my bowl gouge that is 'approx' 75 - 80 deg. on the nose I don't have wings on it. I don't see the point as it is only used for the odd deep bowl. What I am talking about is the everyday, bowl/hollow form gouge you always pick up for the majority of jobs.

I have 2 bowl tools with wings, both the same angle. I also have another 3 with only the straight across grind, but with differing nose angles for deep turning.

PS - I'm with you on that Graham :lol: . Is there any planned for this year?

Nothing so far for turning but I think there's a bash or two planned for the flatwood folks :wink:

No, I won't be going this year, current circumstances rule out any commitment away from the immediate area.

I'm still using those mini forceps... great for holding abrasive to get into mini vessels :wink:

Latest posts

Back