Cedar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have taken delivery (FOC) of a vanload of Cedar that was a conservatory.
Some are largish planks of 3X3 and 3X2
I have never handled any sizable Cedar before and was surprised how light it is.

So........ what can I do with it that utilises its properties.
Any suggestions?

I got a bit of the 3x2 that was quite damaged and ripped a few 9mm boards.
The initial wood is covered with (I guess) salodin wood treatment, but one peice had a nice rippled grain under the crud, the other was plain as plain.
I plan to make a small box out of these and just leave it untreated so the smell becomes a feature.
I may cut some more the same and just put them loose in our clothes drawers to deter moths.
Other that sharpening pencils I have no experience of using cedar so Questions:

Does it glue?
Is planing a option (tear out)

lurker":14w4ytk7 said:
Other that sharpening pencils I have no experience of using cedar so Questions:

Does it glue?
Is planing a option (tear out)

Cedar both glues and planes a treat. I make drawer bottoms from 8mm Cedar of Lebanon, here you can see it both edge jointed and planed,
Drawer-Bottom-Surfacing.jpg

Edge-Shooting,-8mm-Drawer-Bottom-(2).jpg

Cedar's a bit too light for highly stressed or load bearing furniture components like legs or chairs, but it's a superb choice for other applications like box making .

Attachments

• Drawer-Bottom-Surfacing.jpg
    Drawer-Bottom-Surfacing.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Edge-Shooting,-8mm-Drawer-Bottom-(2).jpg
    Edge-Shooting,-8mm-Drawer-Bottom-(2).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 178
I made quite a few coopered bird boxes out of it they had a segmented roof that needed to be long grain for the gluing. I found it dry and dusty and the smell whilst pleasent at first gave me a terrible headache after a few days!
It glued really well this was Western red cedar. Eastern white is less coarse and planes nicely.
Seriously the smell changed from really nice to almost creosote in just a few hours!

Back