Cedar shingles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I want to make some large bird tables etc with a roof of cedar shingle tiles, can I just use ordinary cedar and cut them to size or is there something special about cedar shingle tiles (apart from the price)?

The best are clear (no defects) and there cut to a taper so they look good. There are also shakes which are not tapered but look better on a large roof.

Cedar shingles are actually Western red cedar (Thuja plicata), not a true cedar (Cedrus spp), and preferred for their resistance to decay (durability~25+ years), hence the cost.

For a bird table roof though I would use just about anything?

Brian

sorry meant to say dovecote - want to make it a nice one.

I have the plans for a dovecote somewhere , want a copy ?

I used cedar shakes to roof my workshop and they look fantastic. Shakes are riven on one side which makes them look more organic than shingles. Shingles look much neater. You may come across them on ebay every now and then, as people always buy too many bundles for a large roofing job. 1 or 2 bundles would cover a dovecot. If you want it to last use stainless steel ring shank nails to secure them (they are really expensive too...!).

:lol: I told you no one ever gives books back didnt i :lol: Rob you need to PM Andy cause he stole my plans , i'm sure he will do a copy for you and send them on :lol:

JFC":1b1n1ek5 said:
:lol: I told you no one ever gives books back didnt i :lol: Rob you need to PM Andy cause he stole my plans , i'm sure he will do a copy for you and send them on :lol:

PM already sent offering a copy
And then I promise I will send your book back...... soon :wink:

Back