Car boot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I went to the car boot today, I got about half way round and spotted a stall with loads of tools including a box with lots of moulding planes, wooden planes etc 22 it total. When I started looking through the women said she was selling them as a lot for £5! so I had them and she had some nice chisels for £2 each and a miter square for £3 so I sorted out some stuff and paid the £12. then she came over with a small plane and said she had kept it to one side, she wanted £10 for it, but I had only got just under £6 left, so I offered to put a couple of chisels back, but she let me have it for the nearly £6. So I now have a Stanley No98 side rebate plane.
The planes
DSC_0280.jpg

The No98 and the compass plane
DSC_0283.jpg

They are a mix of hollows and rounds, moulding planes, rebate planes, a wedge arm plow with out the arms etc but with the wedges. A very cute small compass plane. One of the big wood planes has a rebate in the side, its in the middle on the left, I haven't seen one like that before. Now all I need is time to clean them sharpen and make some new wedges. God knows what other bargins I missed on the rest of the stalls but I had spent up and had to go!

Pete

Pete, I want the location of that boot sale! See you there next week. :wink: :D

You certainly drive a hard bargain - that is some haul!

It all looks to be in salvagable condition although part of the front shoe of the Stanley 98 appears to be missing.

Happy rust removing!

Pete
Hmm! Nice haul, don't forget to go through the moulding planes carefully looking for good marks; I picked up two IOHN GREEN's today for a quid!
got a man in the USwho goes nuts for them. :lol:
Cheers
Martin

Hi, Evergreen

The front shoe is reversable/removable its is turned round at the moment. The location of the Calverton cat boot sale just up the A614 from Nottingham is a secrete that dies with me :wink:

Pete

they'll burn nicely to keep you warm whilst you remember why you have a router! Though that stanley looks worth evern one of the 600 pence you paid for it

Aidan

TheTiddles":xb7sfta6 said:
they'll burn nicely to keep you warm whilst you remember why you have a router! Though that stanley looks worth evern one of the 600 pence you paid for it

Aidan

Routers are great, but moulding planes can do things routers can't. You should try one, they are pretty nifty tools.

Pete ... that's an outrageous gloat - great find - I just hope it cost you a load of wasted early mornings failing to find things like this, as well as the 6 quid!

I have some, the problem being that if you want anything outside of what you have an entire plane for you have to make a new one, if only there was a univeral moulding plane (and that one from Bridge City doesn't count, I could commission a plane maker for less than those cost!)

Aidan

Racers":3kvel7go said:
Hi, Evergreen

The front shoe is reversable/removable its is turned round at the moment. The location of the Calverton cat boot sale just up the A614 from Nottingham is a secrete that dies with me :wink:

Pete

Pete

Blow me down! I've just got my Stanley 98 out to check and you're absolutely right! I bet you'll find that knob is rosewood when you clean it up.

Hi, Bugbear

I was back for 9:30, time for breakfast. One thing I didn't ask was if she would be back :cry:

BB Have you seen a big woody with a rebate in like that? I will do a better pic.

Pete

Racers":32rvv6ma said:
Hi, Bugbear

I was back for 9:30, time for breakfast. One thing I didn't ask was if she would be back :cry:

BB Have you seen a big woody with a rebate in like that? I will do a better pic.

Pete

I've seen a "Nurse" instance, with a boxed corner :) I turned it down at a fiver ;-)

I think it's in the same vein as a badger plane; slightly less versatile (since the rebate depth is limited), but stronger (since the side wall doesn't taper to zero)

BugBear

TheTiddles":2yakauiw said:
I have some

Waiting for winter before burning them?

the problem being that if you want anything outside of what you have an entire plane for you have to make a new one, if only there was a univeral moulding plane (and that one from Bridge City doesn't count, I could commission a plane maker for less than those cost!)

Same goes for router cutters which are much, much more expensive, and don't generally (in some cases can't) match the finesse of the profiles of some moulding planes. The advantage of having the sole the same shape as the iron puts them ahead of combination planes in my book (I'm a recent convert). Yes, the other side of that coin is that they take up space - but that's not a reason to burn them!

Back