• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Car boot thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Thomas Hayman

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gents, didn't see a thread so figured i'd throw one up. Bit of a gloat too ;-)

Just committed robbery after purchasing a John green (slightly abused) half round for £2 and assorted other totalling £20. Some fairly early 19th century makers. Included in that was a snipe bill by Watkins of Bradford. Also a round by Boggit which is familiar but i'm not sure why, possibly early?

Anyway, here are the pics.

DSCF5627.jpg

DSCF5619.jpg

DSCF5622.jpg

DSCF5621.jpg

DSCF5625.jpg

DSCF5629.jpg

DSCF5631.jpg

Enjoy

Attachments

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Thomas Hayman":6jftbrqc said:
Just committed robbery after purchasing a John green (slightly abused) half round for £2 and assorted other totalling £20. Some fairly early 19th century makers. Included in that was a snipe bill by Watkins of Bradford. Also a round by Boggit which is familiar but i'm not sure why, possibly early?
Is there a 'ye olde englishe craftsman' to '20th century English' translation site available anywhere? so i can appreciate what a bargain has been found :D

Thomas Hayman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, i'm only 23! Not ye olde yet lol.

Being stamped john green means it should be no later than around 1808 and looking at it probably 1780-90. So for £2, i think that's a bargain.

However this now brings the plane count to 80.... :-/

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
Thomas Hayman":3p13znpx said:
However this now brings the plane count to 80.... :-/

And of course, you use them all regularly :lol: :roll:

I could never resist these things and have several boxes full of them in the loft. The trouble is that when doing mouldings, the antique guy that I supply occasionally always wants a couple of metres minimum. It usually quicker and easier on the router table although occasionally I have needed to use the hand planes to get a particularly difficult shape. Most French antiques use the same sort.

Nice haul though, particularly the curved one. I could use that!!

Thomas Hayman

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say i use ALL of them but they do get used from time to time... sort of