Car boot buys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottonwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Unexpected trip to a car boot this morning-after getting some good ash and alder logs from a certain place nearby-resulted in this little set of items

16" x 8" square, looks to be shop made. Victorian style hand-stamped numbers

2 turnscrews, larger one-unknown maker with "1945" & war department symbol, smaller one by G Pearson & Co Sheffield, split handle which I will replace with beech or ash.

Interesting tounging plane by Hields. Its not often you can buy a woodie plane at a car boot, take it home, put a board in the vice and use that same plane to start cutting straight away without any sharpening or fettling, but that is what happened. Whoever the previous owner was, they looked after it. No rust, no cracks or other damage to the body. I liked this plane instantly.

Total spend £6.50

I have not been to car boots (shame Jimi!!!) since last season as these conflict with astrophotography but I love to see others getting gems and boy are those gems!

The Hields plane is a beauty...don't you just love the maker's mark...I think you should show that!

The turnscrews need a rehandle. I'm sure you can do a fine job...just follow the pattern. I regularly use my old Victorian ones for all sorts of things....and they are my "go to" big flats.

Wonderful haul...keep going you did well!

Jimi

Thanks Jimi, I know what you mean about the Hields mark, very ornate lettering like the old Boots chemists type. Usually the makers marks are much more utilitarian. I was surprised to see it. And its a fantastic tool regardless.
Having recently dismantled an old bench to refurb it, I was reminded how strong and powerful those old steel slotted screws are, and I intend to make use of them more often on some projects in the future. I came across a huge archimedes drill, and ummed and ahhed, but declined in the end, the front handle was rather worn. I am looking at something like that to do pilot holes, that and the traditional brad awl
Of course at the car boot sales theres mountains of useless stuff, but its a case of spending a bit of time trawling through it, there are gems to be had!
Cheers Jonathan :)

Latest posts

Back