can you put hampshire sheen on dainish oil?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello peeps,
I'm finishing a large oak segmented bowl and wanted to ask if you think I'll hit any issues if I finish thus;

sand to 360 grit
a liberal coat of dainish oil, wipe excess and allow to cure for a couple of days
then yourkshire grit and apply hampshire sheen wax

...?

thanks

K

Dainish oil has been my go to finish for most things. I do love the way it brings out the grain of the timber.
I've started using hampshire sheen on turned timber and love the ways it... well makes it sheen 🤣
I would like the oak grain to, dare I say it "pop" 🤦‍♂️ but I'd also like the finished bowl to have that sheen as well. Hence the question. I've done a bit of quick interweb research and can't really find any info

I wouldn't use grit/ cut and paste after oil, risk of the wax carrier turning into a soft sludgy mess in the grain. Might work but why? Chestnut products has a compatability chart, Google and you will find it. They don't do Danish oil as such, but the chart suggests their woodwax and microcrystalline wax are OK after tung oil. By analogy, Hampshire sheen should be OK after Danish oil.

I wouldn't use grit/ cut and paste after oil, risk of the wax carrier turning into a soft sludgy mess in the grain. Might work but why? Chestnut products has a compatability chart, Google and you will find it. They don't do Danish oil as such, but the chart suggests their woodwax and microcrystalline wax are OK after tung oil. By analogy, Hampshire sheen should be OK after Danish oil.
Thanks, I may give it a go on some scrap first

Yes. Oil & wax are compatible.
Check out the Chestnut compatibility chart.
Not sure what benefit Yorkshire grit gives on oiled oak.
Chestnut also did a Products Feature & a Thinning Solvent chart which I can't find links for. Perhaps Terry will enlighten us.

Attachments

• - Chestnut Compatibility Chart.pdf
    20.7 KB
++ Tung oil is my goto finish, it tends not to impart any yellow colour to wood and applied well-thinned you can build up whatever level of sheen you want.
Like most oils it offers very little UV protection but because it dries by oxidation it does offer significant protection against water ingress, I used this extensively on my workshop windows and 13y later the end grain of the cills are still as crisp as the day they were machined
cill.jpg

Back