Can it be fixed ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary M

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my (new to me)record no73 shoulder plane (Ebay purchase) as i recieved it today through the post

e78fceb2.jpg

e78fceae.jpg

e78fcea1.jpg

Can it be Fixed ?? If so how ??

I have emailed the sender and informed him of the situation,
it was sent royal mail, first class recorded, special delivery,
and so should be automatically covered for up to £500 compensation.
Any advise as to what i should do ??
Cheers,
Gary.

From what I've seen if a 073 is going to break, this is mostly where it happens. I would say the onus is on the seller since it was obviously (to me anyway) insufficiently packaged. Send it back for a refund and let the seller slug it out with the post offfice for the insurance.
If you really want the hassle yourself claim the insurance and either have it welded (can be done - seen it several times) or put the money towards one of these

Hi Mark,
The seller is saying that i need to claim because i have the damaged item :roll:
I would have thought that he payed to send the plane therefore he would have to claim, but i am lucky enough to have the post office at the end of my street, so i will be blattering down the door at 9 in the morning :twisted:

Does it affect the use of the plane if this handle (if thats what it is) is broke off. it does'nt seem to really do anything.
:roll:

Hi Gary

The sender has to make a claim to Royal Mail - he paid for the postage and the contract is between him and Royal Mail. I know because I too once received an e-bay purchase which was damaged in the post. Royal Mail wouldn't deal with me - but did say that I had to keep all packaging as evidence of how the item was wrapped.

This should be a matter which the seller should sort out. Did you pay through Paypal? If so, contact them as well.

Hope it gets sorted out ok.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks Karl,
as i thought, his responsibility.
Do i need to contact paypal ? i thought only if i cant get my compensation.
Cheers
Gary.

Gary M":vyvrtx43 said:
Hi Mark,
The seller is saying that i need to claim because i have the damaged item :roll:
I would have thought that he payed to send the plane therefore he would have to claim

I couldn't agree more. Seller pays insurance, seller makes any necessary claim in my book. How well was it packed? If you think he's responsible due to shoddy packing then persevere and try to insist on him having the aggro. If you paid by credit card you may be able to get them to suspend payment while the dispute is settled, you may even find you're automatically insured via the c.c. anyway - Barclaycard used to harp on about this a few years ago but I don't know if it's still the case. Ebay has a procedure for settling disputes like this but use it as a last resort only because it's pretty long winded.

Gary M":vyvrtx43 said:
Does it affect the use of the plane if this handle (if thats what it is) is broke off. it does'nt seem to really do anything.
:roll:

Shouldn't do as long as there's no other damage - chips to sole, mouth, damage to clamp screw or adjuster etc. - but it will be damned uncomfortable to hold I expect :cry:
I have a feeling I saw somewhere selling spares for these a while back so you may be able to get a replacement - can't remember where though, sorry (may have dreamt it even :roll: )

Here is the packaging,
e78fc12a.jpg

e78fc121.jpg

the handle is just sitting in exactly the right place !! you wouldnt even know it was broke !!
well do you think it was properly packaged :roll:
the seller says it was :shock:
The box is just big enough for the plane, with a bit of bubble wrap round it twice !!

Gary M":3ihrabo1 said:
Thanks Karl,
as i thought, his responsibility.
Do i need to contact paypal ? i thought only if i cant get my compensation.
Cheers
Gary.

Hi Gary

I would contact the seller and tell him that you are going to contact Paypal if he doesn't refund the purchase price - plus p&p plus your p&p for returning the item to him (which he will need in order to make a claim on the insurance). Give him a defined timescale (7 days seems reasonable) in which to agree, failing which you will go to Paypal.

Also, what if the seller claimed compo from Royal Mail, then refused to send the cash to you? This happened to me on the example I gave you earlier.

The sooner you get your cash back the better. You can then keep your eyes peeled for another.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Gary

Whilst writing my last post, you posted your pics of the packaging.

I don't think it is adequately protected. It seems clear that the rear lever was not given sufficient protection.

Cheers

Karl

Yes Karl, agreed, may as well of wrapped it in tissue paper !!
Seller has asked for a pic of the plane and packaging as i have informed him that i dont want to, but will go through the proper procedure with paypal for a full refund.
He has told me that he is honest (500 odd feedback at 100%) and was caught out himself before.
He said that he will claim tomorrow with the pics and send me on the refund, so i will take him at his word and wait to see the outcome.
Thanks for the valuable input as i probably would have sent it back without even thinking
:wink:
Cheers,
Gary.

Hope all goes well and the seller is an honorable person

Gary M":3s5nsp58 said:
....... Can it be Fixed ?? If so how ??
Cheers,
Gary.
I am curious does anyone know how to fix this sort of thing?

Cheers :)
Tony

I would contact Paypal straight away.
They will withhold monies in his account in order to settle this dispute.
Otherwise he could withdraw the money and shut down his account.

Paypal will contact both parties to resolve the dispute.

This is off the point of getting financially recovery....However, I seem to recall reading on one of the forums where someone contacted Lie Nielsen and was able to obtain a replacement lever for a Record/Preston 073. Did I dream that, or does someone else remember the same thing?

Anyway, that's a very fine-looking plane, and whoever ends up owning it will want to replace the lever. If there is not an olde-tool recycler in the UK where a replacement lever can be found, I suggest email LN and ask if their lever will fit, and if so, what's the cost. It's a nice bronze lever.

Wiley

I would also try LN first. I recall someone on the Porch doing so and that the LN part was made to fit.

Otherwise you could try fixing it with silver solder.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi, Gary M

Here is a frend for it.
ebay link
it is a common thing.

I have a unused boxed Record 73 if you have no luck getting a repalcement handle.

Pete

Just a small thing - you shouldn't have to wait for him to get compo for him to forward on to you. He should refund you in full and then claim. I had this exact problem with a camera I sold a while back. Royal mail dropped and cracked the ground glass screen which couldn't be repaired easily. I had to refund the guy in full, take back the camera and then claim on the royal mail insurance to get it fixed.

Back