Can anyone identify this insect?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Not seen these before and we have, literally, hundreds. Luckily they're not attracted to humans! They are all the same..just tried to capture them with the camera .....bloody difficult as they don't keep still. The key characteristic seems to be a long bit that dangles down below them as the fly.

P1080536.jpg

P1080537.jpg

P1080538.jpg

P1080539.jpg

Roger, can you catch one and gives a better look? They could be Mayflies. With all this warm weather I so no reason why they should not be a week or so early

Andy

I'm with Chipchaser - They are definately St Marks Flies. We have just spent the Easter weekend away with the caravan and they were flying all around the site.

May flies are quite different

Rog

I have seen these in the past. Very small and very black. Not for a few years though. They swarm in thousands, and they like warm weather. I noticed in particular they would land all over the 'Ermine' coloured roof of my old Cambridge. Had no idea what they were though. I do know they are attracted to yellow clothing, so whilst they don't bite, they can be bothersome if you have on light coloured garments.

So, not Mayflies. Those are quite large almost like a butterfly in size. I like to watch those at Bourton-on the water when I can. Great fun watching the sparrows take them in flight, whilst I try to photograph it!

St. Mark's flies eh! Well something new learned every day... Thanks

Out of interest I Googled.

http://www.uksafari.com/stmarksfly.htm

Quite useful little fellows, and very punctual it seems!

Regards
John :D

RogerS":3eetahly said:
gemma.windsor":3eetahly said:
it looks like a dragon fly? no?

No..it's a St Mark's fly. 100%

Exactly, and the small dangly bit is nothing more than its legs, which are held together and trail beneath, as it flies. So I am google-informed!
regards
John
:D

Thanks for that. On my last few mountain bike rides I have been plagued with them and I too was intrigued as to what they are called

Seen millions of them.
dangly bits and all.
formal title LBJ's
Little Black Jobbies.
Not as bad as SBJ's
Smaller Black Jobbies.These have been driving cyclists mad for the last two weeks and have just died out.
Like last year.
rogerS, brilliant photography. Slightly sad, but then again I stalk housemartins as well as bugs.
Chunko'.

Back