Camvac extractor - single or twin motor???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get the Camvac 286 36L dust extractor for xmas. 2.5in version

I'm not sure though whether to pay the extra £70 and get the twin motor version or just get the cheaper single motor.

Do you get a lot more suck for the extra pounds? Is it worth going for the twin motor?

Thanks,

Jennifer,

If you go for a twin motor on a 286 you dont have much capacity before its full. I use a 286 twin with an onedia cyclone so no dust or shavings get through to the extract and that provides plenty of suck running through a cyclone and about 5m total of 2 1/2" pipe with blast gates etc

Hi - I had a record power single motor ex to run a 2.5" ducted system and it really did not have the grunt.

I have since upgraded to a multi motor unit that works fine (also give option of adding hose to output to reduce noise without losing too much overall performance.

As the old saying goes, the quality / performance is remembers long after the price is forgotten!

S

It depends really what you are going to use it - clearing up the floor or attached to a bandsaw no problems.
I had the wall mounted version, but the 2.5" and one motor could not cope with my Planer/Thicknesser - I replaced it with a Record DX5000 - twin motor 4".

Rod

It depends really what you are going to use it - clearing up the floor or attached to a bandsaw no problems.
I had the wall mounted version, but the 2.5" and one motor could not cope with my Planer/Thicknesser - I replaced it with a Record DX5000 - twin motor 4".

Rod

It's for my bandsaw and then my other tools are all micro versions so I have a mini lathe, micro mill and Proxxon mini table saw atm. I can't see me using a p/t but I might use it for a router at some point.

I'm making 12th scale items with mostly Jelutong so there's nothing producing huge quantities of dust.

I have a twin motor and a triple motor camvac- i used to have a single and it was o.k if you could keep the hose length down to a metre or so but they are noisy to have that close to you- so i upgraded and now have mine in a seperate area to my work area

Jennifer - I am sure the Camvac you suggested will be fine for your intended work.

You can cut down the exhaust noise by fitting some tubing to the exhaust port(s) - Woodbloke posted about it a while back?

At a later date, if you are getting a lot of fine dust, you can also use a "Dust Deputy" cyclone in the run and it will increase the capacity too?

Rod

Hi Rod,

Do you think it's worth the extra for the extra suck or will the single motor do the job IYO?

I've got a 3 motor one for sale with a camvac cyclone and a few plastic 4" connectors.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you some photos.

Simon

This is the cyclone
IMG_0059.jpg

The 3 motor unit
IMG_0060.jpg

The box of bits
IMG_0061.jpg

I'm after £300 for the lot.

In my opinion there are two debates here.

I think the P/T will always struggle with a 2.5" extraction system, 4" is really better given the volume of waste produced.

Regarding level of 'suck', as others have said, if you want to route it over any distance the twin / triple is much better - ideal if you can box it off somewhere to reduce shop noise.

Also the deal being offered seems great value if you have the space even if you re-sell the cyclone as I suspect for what you are doing a single 200ltr drum will take a while to fill!

BRgds
S

Thanks Simon. Just for clarity the drums aren't the really big 200 litre ones, they are the smaller ones that fit under a bench. I bought this size because I didn't want to struggle emptying 200kg of dust on my own! It does have a 4" inlet though and if you empty the cyclone before it gets full you rarely have to empty the other can. I'm sure it could run a ducted system in a small workshop.

Sorry Simon - I did not intend to mis-lead!

I have the triple on a 200l drum linked to a 2.5" system I use for dust only rather than shavings (I scoop them up myself!) and am yet to need to empty it and it has loads of suck!

S

No I know you didn't Simon but I just wanted to keep it clear. Thanks for your input though it's good to hear it from another.

Hi Jen

I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase at all, I think you would have been a little disappointed if you had gone for the single motor option.

Just a quick one, I don't know whether you have plans to use the cyclone yourself or whether you plan to sell it on, but if you decide to shift it on then please let me know as I have been considering building one for a while but haven't the time, so if a reasonably priced model was available I would definitely be interested.

Cheers, and good luck again with your business venture

Mark

Back