Burr Identification and help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was given a couple of pieces this afternoon, which (a) I don't know what it is, and more importantly (b) what to do with them!
I can imagine turning burrs is quite an event, although the results can be stunning, but never having tried, I could do with some advice please?

Thanks in advance :)

SAM_1249_zps19atopw7.jpg

SAM_1255_zpsdp5phf1i.jpg

SAM_1252_zps7xbo2fza.jpg

That bright yellow immediately says Robinia (pseudoacacia) to me. Pretty hard and unforgiving on tools but takes a lovely finish. But my creativity is zero, so can't suggest what to do with it.

yellow also could be mulberry. no idea if you get burr mulberry though. just going on the bright yellowness.

dickm":11z0r6op said:
That bright yellow immediately says Robinia (pseudoacacia) to me. Pretty hard and unforgiving on tools but takes a lovely finish. But my creativity is zero, so can't suggest what to do with it.

The colour of the wood is about right for acacia, but the bark looks wrong. I don't know what it is though :( After turning some greenheart for a competition every thing else now feels like cutting cheese :)

marcros":33vrwpyr said:
yellow also could be mulberry. no idea if you get burr mulberry though. just going on the bright yellowness.

Looks bang on link mulberry to me also. Hollow form / possibly gentle use of graded spirt stain could be stunning?

S

Back