Building an Anarchist's Tool Chest - couple of questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm getting towards the end of building a tool chest following Chris Schwarz's "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" book and am not sure about a couple of steps. I've seen a few completed chests posted on here so I thought I'd see if anyone can help me out:

1. Chris doesn't go into quite so much detail about the finishing of the chest as he does the construction, and I'm a bit unsure about the procedure. He suggests milk paint, followed by an oil or lacquer finish, followed by some "latex" paint (which, as far as I can work out, is what we call emulsion over here). So I've got the milk paint on, and I've got some acrylic lacquer spray and some black satin emulsion. I'm a bit worried about putting the emulsion on over the lacquer though - whether it will cover the lacquer well, and be able to "hold" (there's probably a technical term for this). I've done a quick test piece with 3 coats of milk paint, 2 coats of lacquer, and I've just put the first coat of emulsion on - it's a bit streaky and coverage isn't great, but I'm wondering if I just layer it up it will eventually work out. Or maybe I should prepare the lacquered surface somehow before applying the emulsion? Anyone tried this, and have any idea how best to proceed?

2. The book recommends a chain to hold the lid when it's open, which seems like a good idea, as although the lid holds itself up on the ends of the lid's skirt, it doesn't look very sturdy and I can see this ends getting broken in pretty short order, or the skirt coming away from the body of the lid. After several rounds on google, I'm really struggling to find a suitable chain - I can only find small ones (approx. 20cm long, with flimsy-looking fittings), more suited to small boxes. Does anyone know a source for a larger chain for this kind of application? I'm guessing I could buy the chain + fittings separately, which might make finding a suitable size of chain easier, but I'm not sure what these fittings would be called, so I'm not sure what to search for. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Don't plumber's merchants sell chain for the smallest room in the traditional household?
If not, I think they have it by the metre in most ordinary hardware shops or even in the overpriced sheds if you must.

I guess just getting some chain isn't the problem really, it's more the means of attaching it to the chest and lid - I can find chains with brackets to attach them to boxes, but they're too small to be suitable

Juz":3bnf6uuf said:
I guess just getting some chain isn't the problem really, it's more the means of attaching it to the chest and lid - I can find chains with brackets to attach them to boxes, but they're too small to be suitable

I just used a dome-headed screw and a washer through the end links. A staple of the appropriate size may have looked a bit better though...

Ok, good idea - I'll give that a go.

On the paint/lacquer front, I just dived in - I figure I can sand it back if it doesn't work. After the first coat of emulsion it doesn't look great, but hopefully it should fill out a bit with a couple more coats, I did a test piece and it looked fine after 3 coats.

Juz":13cp6wi3 said:
Hi Folks,

I'm getting towards the end of building a tool chest following Chris Schwarz's "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" book and am not sure about a couple of steps. I've seen a few completed chests posted on here so I thought I'd see if anyone can help me out:

1. Chris doesn't go into quite so much detail about the finishing of the chest as he does the construction, and I'm a bit unsure about the procedure. He suggests milk paint, followed by an oil or lacquer finish, followed by some "latex" paint (which, as far as I can work out, is what we call emulsion over here). So I've got the milk paint on, and I've got some acrylic lacquer spray and some black satin emulsion. I'm a bit worried about putting the emulsion on over the lacquer though - whether it will cover the lacquer well, and be able to "hold" (there's probably a technical term for this). I've done a quick test piece with 3 coats of milk paint, 2 coats of lacquer, and I've just put the first coat of emulsion on - it's a bit streaky and coverage isn't great, but I'm wondering if I just layer it up it will eventually work out. Or maybe I should prepare the lacquered surface somehow before applying the emulsion? Anyone tried this, and have any idea how best to proceed?

2. The book recommends a chain to hold the lid when it's open, which seems like a good idea, as although the lid holds itself up on the ends of the lid's skirt, it doesn't look very sturdy and I can see this ends getting broken in pretty short order, or the skirt coming away from the body of the lid. After several rounds on google, I'm really struggling to find a suitable chain - I can only find small ones (approx. 20cm long, with flimsy-looking fittings), more suited to small boxes. Does anyone know a source for a larger chain for this kind of application? I'm guessing I could buy the chain + fittings separately, which might make finding a suitable size of chain easier, but I'm not sure what these fittings would be called, so I'm not sure what to search for. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Juz...

I have some chain you could use. It's real chain, black enamelled and the links are about 25mm long by 1cm wide. Strong stuff, and what I would use for the job. PM me if it helps.

John .

Ah, thanks for the offer! I actually just got back from the local hardware store where I picked up some decent looking stuff, so I should be sorted now.

Latest posts

Back