Buggered blade beggars tearout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbarhamlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Ha!
Lent fave plane out, got it back looking a tad well used.
Derusted, degunked, beds restored, just the iron to sort.
Blade 'back' had been savaged on an unflat stone and then barber flappy stropped on concrete I think - needing 3/16" grinding back, some serious lapping or heavily cambering. (Already got a cambered blade in my try plane - don't want one in the jointer)
Grrrr.
Put it to one side, working some macassar ebony which is switching all over (still haven't been to specsavers - so finding it hard to read) and so 'randomly' tearing out. White rose tight mouth, sharp as an X factor contestant - still no good.
Flashback to the other night when I watched Mr C's latest opus. Ahah! No 6" rule in my sharpening arsenal, but - grab the buggered blade, hone about a 30° backbevel, wallop it in the 4 1/2 and shhhhheeeeessssshhhhh.
Polished surface.
(Sorry no pic - some elves made me sign a NDA :wink: )

:lol: Brother in a spot - sure he saw my hands shaking when I handed it over - and he thought he'd been really careful, so can't complain, I expected it to get a beating - but it will be another twenty years before I do it again.
But silver linings and stuff - will be ordering another 2 3/8" blade and keeping this as a trouble shooter.

dunbarhamlin":1dtcgitu said:
:lol: Brother in a spot - sure he saw my hands shaking when I handed it over - and he thought he'd been really careful, so can't complain, I expected it to get a beating - but it will be another twenty years before I do it again.
But silver linings and stuff - will be ordering another 2 3/8" blade and keeping this as a trouble shooter.

My way of saying no to tool borrowers when asked is to reply "Would you lend me your wife?" :lol:

Lord Nibbo":3oleb9yp said:
My way of saying no to tool borrowers when asked is to reply "Would you lend me your wife?" :lol:

:lol:

But what do you do if he says yes????

Cheers

Karl

Lord Nibbo":20zfc0f8 said:

My brother would probably reply: "Lend her? You can keep her."

:shock: :shock: :lol:

Offer him two planes - have you ever seen a sweet little Irish lass transformed into a ball crushing banshee? Not a pretty site even as a spectator :lol:

Welcome to the 4-1/2 with a back bevel club!

I couldn't believe the difference when I first tried it, infill performance from a standard 4-1/2..awesome! Not sure about the 'white rose tight' thing though - 'specially when you consider the relative prices these days, I reckon they're white rose downright generous.

All the best,

Matthew

Yep - I'd even looked at getting a plug in grinder to fix it before I tried the back bevel.
I reckon they're white rose downright generous.
You can't just dash a Lancashire lad's world view like that ;D
Cheers
Steve

dunbarhamlin":ql0nndeb said:
...blade, hone about a 30° backbevel, wallop it in the 4 1/2 and shhhhheeeeessssshhhhh.
Polished surface.

30° backbevel - which means 75° effective pitch !?!?!?

BugBear

Yep. Lovely see through black and brown plastic shavings.

Hey, never been one to take the middle road or do things by halves - I'll leave that to the men of York :D

I'm used to honing at that angle, so it should be easier to reproduce without a guide while it's just a sliver.

For durability I may try one at half pitch next time I have the need, though the edge seems to last well enough.

Back