Bri's experience so far :-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been interested with wood turning since a young lad.
But never attempted since my dad died of lung cancer...Due to not wearing protection for breathing.
Thinking back a woodbine in the gob was the way to go my dad!!! Until years later all sorts of wood dust got him!!!
One lesson learnt anyways!
Some will know I'm new to forum and would like your views on me turning, with one hand.
I've already got messaged both safely and can I actually achielve something!!
(Custard think a one handed thread might great
But I'll will never jump in, but get guidance my Geordie mentor (spmick)
All the time safety is in my mind)
So mick is kindly going to learn and guide me.
I'm off of a couple of weeks retreat..and when I'm back looking fwd to getting back the wood addiction lol.
Thanks for viewing any views, advice tips etc it's really appreciated as always.
It will great viewing them whilst I sit at the sea side eating i cream cornets!!! Easy life.
Mind o got lightly sun burned but the shadow of my mobilty scooter handle bars got me :-(
Catch you soon
ATB
Bri

You might want to check out Northumbrian Woodturners for a local club - http://www.northumbrianwoodturners.com/
We meet every 2nd Friday of the month and every other month there's also a demo on the Saturday.

I seem to remember that there was an article in the Woodturner magazine maybe 8 years ago about turner who only had one hand. Might be worth getting in touch with him. Someone on http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/for ... oodturning might remember details.

If you are really into wanting to produce some wood turnings with limited dexterity you might consider a basic metal lathe rather than a wood lathe, items such as lidded boxes could easily be produced on a metal lathe using the machines added tool manipulation for the bulk of the work and only hand tools with a suitable rest for the odd curved refinement.
Wood working chucks like the VersaChuck can have ISO backplates fitted to suit most lathe spindles.

Admittedly the hand skill challenge is reduced but most of us with full capabilities find things difficult enough at times so I see no loss of kudos in using a tool that enhances the chances of output satisfaction.

Hello guys,
Thanks so much the great advice.
Tbh! I'm a bit aprehensive lol especially now with my duff hand lol
But I suppose anything possible.
Mind I've two weeks to wait!
Bet mick is rolling his eyes! Haha!! As long he has some reins to tether me up!joking aside I'm not bad! Listens, listen before I do owt.
At least I'll know if I can turn with guidance and help with my tiny brain.
Can't wait!
ATB
Bri

Perhaps "ornamental turning" might suit (depending on what you're after),
since most of the design-expression is in the set up; the turning
itself is essentially controlled by what you've set up.

The equipment can be pricey though.

BugBear

Hello guys,
im thinking either short handled tools, or using a long handled too with tucking it under my wing...or some how a braise (cant get the word to express what want say!) Velcro to secure the handle to my arm, and have my hand to use on the rest...
Could it be done?
the best chisels, short or big handled?
or any other way u can advice?
sorry ive got learning difficulty, and bogged down with even simple thinking...but ill get there just take time.
the ormenental turning looks interesting, but apart from the cost maybe I can get away with trying.
ATB
Bri

Been looking on pen turning!
Think I'll might like trying it.
Views please? Ease of turning with one one.
Expensive or cheap etc?
ATB
Bri

I sometimes demonstrate turning with one hand to complete beginners - just to show how light a grip is needed on the tool. I'm much better right handed than left handed, but that's normal for me. I would improve if I practiced more. :)

I agree that starting small is the way to go - & pens would be ideal as long as you can cope with drilling the blanks & gluing in the brass tubes.

The rule that applies to us all, whether using one or two hands, is that the tool must always be on the tool rest.

Robbo3":2vwwibo6 said:
I sometimes demonstrate turning with one hand to complete beginners - just to show how light a grip is needed on the tool. I'm much better right handed than left handed, but that's normal for me. I would improve if I practiced more. :)

I agree that starting small is the way to go - & pens would be ideal as long as you can cope with drilling the blanks & gluing in the brass tubes.

The rule that applies to us all, whether using one or two hands, is that the tool must always be on the tool rest.

Sorry m8,
Been busy concentrating on getting my brain better lol didn't work but I got plenty of YouTube vids under my belt!! Haha!
Will see how I fair when I back home.
Mind if I'm ok with wood turning its gonna be question 'best lathe' drill press chuck etc....
ATB
Bri

Hi Bri,

Have a look at http://www.evenparenterprises.com/ .
They have an excellent arm brace designed for just this situation. I use one for fly fishing as my arthritis makes using my thumb very painful.
The brace is quite expensive but works very well. You may be able to adjust your technique to use one.

Hope this helps,

Mike

mikec":26epf3z1 said:
Hi Bri,

Have a look at http://www.evenparenterprises.com/ .
They have an excellent arm brace designed for just this situation. I use one for fly fishing as my arthritis makes using my thumb very painful.
The brace is quite expensive but works very well. You may be able to adjust your technique to use one.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hello Mike,
Well that brace looks like what I need! I'm going to look more on it on the net.
Mind u I can get a helping hand from my pals that make leather goods so I could make one.
It will be simple (just like me lol) and do the job..I've got plenty leather to make one.
Leave it to me, I'll report back on the progress.
The one thing after weeks of searching researching on the net, is the right wood lathe I fancy.
Lack of space means a mini lathe is best for me.
I've got my old workbench and take it down to the outhouse.
This can shut so dust etc doesn't get to the kitching via two doors.
Ventilation will be my industrial Hoover, old garden blower to one space..respirator and if needed a small compressor and two windows.
But this outhouse will be need heating when it gets cold..brick no insulation..a timed heater to keep the area room temp.
And space for the logs I have to dry out.
I want to make smallish bowls, lamps stands and pen turning.
So I've stArted briefly looking at the mini lathes on Axminster, but haven't got any further.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again everyone making this experience to wood working enjoyable
ATB
Bri

well Mike ive sent the word for maybe making a leather brace..
if its successful I shall make a one for you as a spare, like said I've loads of leather...and if anyone in the future wants one ill be happy to help..
be like a archer brace but different lol
thx
ATB
Bri

Claymore":nsi35p6k said:
Hey Brian going by your forum name I guess you like Manx Nortons? well check this out geoff-duke-manx-norton-intarsia-t96508.html
I made early this year and the guy who bought it races real Manx Nortons so it went to a good home :cool:

Cheers
another Brian :cool:

Bri
all I can say is I'm a total fan.
fell in love the old bikes whilse I raced classic sidecars 2004, and the Manx Norton was my saving up to buy one money....but my daughter arrived and numerous tours around the world took one ever further away, retired from racing and when I nearly managed to take the dip again up East Lothian, two strokes hit...after 8 bikes ive only got ST1300 pan and a VMAX left. I cant ride so they're up for sale.
but never been beaten, the next step is 7 days a week trying to stenthing my duff arm and maybe compete again on a sidecar.....mmmmmm! what about my duff leg aswell haha!
I really love your work.
could you PM prices n stuff pal?
lata bri
ATB
Bri

Back