Brand new power tool - pre launch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Well here it is…finally the gag is off and I can tell all..
P1010008-3.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

P1010013-2.jpg

When I bought my Paslode for a major project 6 years ago, there was little else available to compare and despite the problems of noise, gas issues, messy servicing and erratic behaviour, especially in poor weather, it’s done a sterling job and I wouldn’t be without it……………UNTIL NOW.

When given the opportunity by DeWalt to review their “game changing” nailgun of course I accepted, (who wouldn’t) but I was sceptical that a battery powered tool could match the power of gas. How wrong I was as a couple of months of testing this little baby has completely changed my view of nailguns.
In my case, the DeWalt does everything the Paslode can do with ease but minus the problemss. It drives 50 to 90mm standard clipped nails without fuss and with a satisfying “thump” instead of a bang like gunshot. I’ve even fixed 25mm thick slaters laths to concrete block walls (my workshop). A couple of hundred 63mm galvanised ringshanks to be exact without missing a beat. That’s a test for any tool!

Its powerful batteries seem to run forever, compact and quiet, almost no maintenance, NO GAS to buy or store, tool free adjustment and nail release (not tested as I never had a jammed nail) are just a few benefits though I did find it pretty heavy and I dislike the rafter hook.

I haven't posted a full review here but very happy to answer all questions from anyone interested, in the meantime all I can say is that anyone in the market for a gas powered nailgun would be stupid not to consider this tool first.
Don't get me wrong, the Paslode is a great gun, it's just that this DeWalt knocks spots off it and as I’m one of the lucky few who get to keep this for free so my Paslode will be on the bay shortly but if I had to buy then there is no doubt which I’d spend my hard earned on. A no-brainer IMO

One dealer has jumped the gun http://www.its.co.uk/pd/DCN690M2-Dewalt ... N690M2.htm

Bob

chippy1970":3awi7zc2 said:
By the way thats the same box mine came in.

Yes, I had to wait for the box but I'm quite happy with it. As you suggested, it could do with a space for a few strips of nails but it can be modified. (might let you use yours as a guinea pig before mutilating mine :wink: :lol:

Bob

They should have given me one for the trail - have major issues currently with my paslode, which is only one year old

so what gauge is the gun and what can it take

Mcluma":4acvzxbt said:
They should have given me one for the trail - have major issues currently with my paslode, which is only one year old

so what gauge is the gun and what can it take

Will fire anything the paslode 350 does inc ringshank and galvs and any other brand clipped nails of the same sizes 50 - 90mm. I used std paslode and some other cheapies I got off ebay but can't remember brand.

Blurb says clipped head or offset nail dia 2.9 - 3.3mm

Bob

Looks like a nice piece of kit.

I've used paslodes for ten years and until last year never had any great problems. The one i bought 12 months ago is constantly faulty and yesterday got launched off a two storey scaffold into some bushes at the end of the garden. I will definitely be buying a dewalt one.

Does look good, didnt think they would get a gasless gun to knock in 90mm nails but they obviously have :) When on song the im350 is a good bit of gear - light weight and quick to use but when something aint right their a pain in the bum :(

Hope the weathers a bit warmer tomorrow, guess what I've got to use - gas freezing :roll:

adidat":3l9oznb1 said:
where the members concerned approached via this forum? adidat

I don't know the criteria DeWalt used but believe I was asked because of my earlier posts on the paslode which has clearly been targeted (and I certainly think they need to be worried).
I know of another 2 members on here but one hasn't commented yet so won't name him. Proof if ever needed that manufacturers monitor forums in general and hopefully listen to and act on the views of actual customers.

I will definitely be buying a dewalt one.

Matty - Hang fire - launch in January and there might possibly be some sort of forum incentive but no guarantee on that - just a whisper!

Does look good, didnt think they would get a gasless gun to knock in 90mm nails but they obviously have When on song the im350 is a good bit of gear - light weight and quick to use but when something aint right their a pain in the bum
Hope the weathers a bit warmer tomorrow, guess what I've got to use - gas freezing

But they've managed it and there's certainly loads of power.
paslode have aknowledged the gas problem by selling "winter gas" Another lot to buy, store and go off :roll:

Bob

I was talking to a paslode guy at the Sandown park tool show and he was raving on about their newer guns that are fuel injected and work at lower temperatures. I was dying to get the dewalt out of the van and show him :lol::lol:

It's not just the low temperature problems its the nose on the paslode . The amount of times you end up having to really jab it down to fire a nail.

Looks like a beauty, whats the weight on it ?
Is there any replacment magazine, these short magazines is a real pain.
You say you dont like the rafterhook, i suppose its possible to take it of ? But i wouldnt be without it working on a roof or a floor but other jobs it can be better to take it of especial if it is fixed.
I have to speak up for the paslode i have had one finish nailer for 4 years now and still no problem but ofcourse if i could do without the gas would be even better.
Been looking at the paslode framingnailer but think its to expensive so been using regular framingnailer with air a F350 and its a real workhorse 50000 + nails a year and never any problems. The problem with jamming nails is almost allways due to the nails not the gun big difference in quality between the manufactors.
Looking forward to see the price on these over here compared to the paslode looks like a great gun thanks for sharing.

buffalobill":2bf5kl7d said:
Looks like a beauty, whats the weight on it ?
Is there any replacment magazine, these short magazines is a real pain.
You say you dont like the rafterhook, i suppose its possible to take it of ? But i wouldnt be without it working on a roof or a floor but other jobs it can be better to take it of especial if it is fixed.
I have to speak up for the paslode i have had one finish nailer for 4 years now and still no problem but ofcourse if i could do without the gas would be even better.
Been looking at the paslode framingnailer but think its to expensive so been using regular framingnailer with air a F350 and its a real workhorse 50000 + nails a year and never any problems. The problem with jamming nails is almost allways due to the nails not the gun big difference in quality between the manufactors.
Looking forward to see the price on these over here compared to the paslode looks like a great gun thanks for sharing.

There's no removeable magazine (same as the paslode and others), but why would there need to be, as it's at least as quick to slide a strip of nails in as it would be to change a magazine I would think. Takes me just a few seconds.

I don't know the weight of the paslode including battery and gas to compare accurately (can't always trust published figures :wink: ) Maybe I'll weigh and compare when I get time. What I would say is that the DeWalt seems very well balanced. The DeWalt leaflet says 4.2kg (I think that includes the battery) but the ITS tools website list it as 3.9kg :?

Rafter hook - Just my personal opinion - i'ts plastic and very strong and I'm sure DeWalt tested it thoroughly. i just don't fancy hanging a £500 tool on something I'm not sure of :) What I do like though is that the hook swivels so it can be pushed out of the way so no need to remove on jobs where it's in the way.

Jams. - I think the paslode is sensetive to nail thickness and paper deterioration and i experience regular jams. I've used exactly the same nails on the DeWalt and not had even one jammed. Stuck nails are to be expected though which is why the tool free release is there. As you say it's down to discrepancies in the nails.

There's probably going to be a group buy offer on the forum but whether that's any good to you over there in the wilderness is debateable. All I can say is if I hadn't been gifted one for testing, I would seriously be looking to buy.

Bob

I was thinking more of a replacement magazine to hold more strips.
Dewalt have regular shows around here so i hope to get a look at it soon.

That looks good to me Bob. How much more than the Paslode does it weigh? I find the Paslode too heavy when swinging from rafters and holding it higher than head height. I'd have one in a flash if I could justify the expense, my Paslode is only a couple of years old and isn't heavily used. Might see what they are going for on ebay & flog it & buy a DW. Thanks for all the info. :wink:

Grayorm":2oypllin said:
That looks good to me Bob. How much more than the Paslode does it weigh? I find the Paslode too heavy when swinging from rafters and holding it higher than head height. I'd have one in a flash if I could justify the expense, my Paslode is only a couple of years old and isn't heavily used. Might see what they are going for on ebay & flog it & buy a DW. Thanks for all the info. :wink:

It's a little bit heavier but feels better balanced to me so no worse than the paslode. Make no mistake though, a solid heavy bit of kit.

My paslode was about 6 years old but in very good condition. Sold it with 2 batteries and 10 gas for £255 + p&p which I was quite happy with.

Bob

Lons":3nnt7lhd said:
Grayorm":3nnt7lhd said:

It's a little bit heavier but feels better balanced to me so no worse than the paslode. Make no mistake though, a solid heavy bit of kit.

My paslode was about 6 years old but in very good condition. Sold it with 2 batteries and 10 gas for £255 + p&p which I was quite happy with.

Bob

Cheers Bob....set me thinking. :-k

Back