Boxford bench mounted countershaft issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minilathe22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I recently purchased a do upper Boxford CSB lathe. It uses a bench mounted countershaft and motor combined unit, bolted separate from the lathe at a suitable location. I believe this is not the normal unit supplied with the CSB lathe, it appears to be the more generic drive unit for C model Boxfords.

The issue is that I cannot get any belt tension between the lathe and the stepped pulleys, as it appears to rotate on the lower overly long shaft. Why is it so long, and what are the bolts on the end for? It looks like this needs to not rotate, for the belt tension lever to work properly. Anyone out there that has restored one of these units know how they work?

It looks like the previous owner put grease onto lubrication points eg on the leadscrew supports etc but I believe only the headstock bearings should be greased, the rest should be oil. So I am cleaning them out a bit.

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 15.03.06.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 15.03.06(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 15.03.06(2).jpeg

cant help with the belt prob but I'd be getting a 6mm thick drip tray cum belt shaft mount made up....
not a really good idea being bench mounted....
benches sag *eventually* and what if u want to relocate....?
do it once and do it properly....

It turned out to be a pin going through the shaft had sheared off on both sides and allowed rotation where it should not. It was a simple design in the end.

Yes the bench mounted countershaft does take alot of space compared to the later underdrive models, but I got it for a good price and do not need a metal lathe often.

Nice old machines, way better than a Chinese mini lathe. My old Myford 4 also has a bench mounted motor. I just glued two sheets of 18mm ply together to make a base, then a 2mm thick drip tray on top. Whole lot lives on top of a heavy wheeled cabinet. The Myford only has a single central foot on the bed so you don't have to worry about the bed twisting, which might be an issue with the Boxford. Should be ok if mounted on a good sturdy bench, and levelled properly. Certainly worth keeping your eye out for something suitable on the usual auction sites.

Back