Bookshelf - With pics this time (sorry!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierney

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie with more tools then skill and here is my first project post.

My 3yr old son is moving room to make way for a new arrival, so to ‘sell’ the move to him I decided to build a bookshelf for all his stuff.

I think a recent FWW on how to build bookshelves was my primary reference. I spent quite a while fiddling around on SketchUp before settling on a design. Initially I was thinking of a simple MDF affair; but am happy to say that I pursued with something more challenging.

The carcass is still 18mm MDF, 15mm plywood for shelves, with softwood (spruce?) used for lipping, faceframe and one piece of the carcass.

Total Cost:
MDF - Free (I had a 6*4 piece lying around)
Spruce - £2 (had a few spare floor boards already)
Ply - £5 (Merchant Grade offcuts at local merchant)
Paint - £20 (1ltr of Primer, 1ltr of Farrow & Ball eggshell)
Brush - £7
Router Cutter - £30 (Beading cutter from Trend)
Total - £64

Dimensions are: 1200mm H * 960mm W * 340mm D

Sorry the WIP pictures aren’t great

Here is the carcass with the face frame applied. Carcass construction is four pieces of MDF; the top and bottom shelf are set into rebates in the sides and glued and screwed. The back is 9mm MDF again glued into a rebate in the sides. Finally there is one piece of 6*1 as a batton at the back below the bottom shelf, which I used to give some additional strength to the structure.

DSCF1308Rotated.jpg

DSCF1312Rotated.jpg

The face frame is 1” softwood beaded on a router table and joined with mortise and tenon joints, mitred at the moulded part (I didn’t get the mitres as tight as I would have liked, but I’ve convinced myself it is because I rushed them!)

DSCF1309.jpg

It was the first time I tried lipping and was quite pleased with the result. I trimmed everything flush with a No. 4 plane with a curved blade. It’s amazing how quickly you realise that you can never have too many clamps

DSCF1313Rotated.jpg

Bad moment for the elastic to go on my last dust mask, but managed to improvise

DSCF1321.jpg

Finished painted article with some close ups on the moulding (done using a ½” cove and ½” rounding over bit)

DSCF1361.jpg

DSCF1360Rotated.jpg

DSCF1362Rotated.jpg

DSCF1363Rotated.jpg

I used some levelling feet at each side on the front as the floor was very uneaven and shelf pegs from Trend (makes total cost £67)

Overall I was very pleased with the end result, particularly the amount of spare wood that I managed to re-use. I wish I had a table saw, rather than having to use a clamp guide though

DSCF1319Rotated.jpg

Im not getting any pictures, even when I paste the links. You cant beat photobucket.com for hosting pictures.

ditto pics. This seems to be a frequent occurence. Nice to know it isn't just me.

It 'sounds' like a lovely bookcase though!!!

Cheers

Neil

Well your cat seems to like it :)

Mitres can be difficult to get perfect but with a painted finish you can hide any small gaps with a bit of filler.

I'm intrigued by the skirting at the bottom of the wardrobe with the two knobs on it. Is this a drawer? It's very close to the floor if it is.

regards

Brian

Nice work and interesting use of joinery. Looks more substantial than anything you could have bought for the same money and the cat seems to like it too! :D

Thanks for your comments :D

Chems,

Thanks for the tip, photobucket.com, works a treat. I was trying BTdigital vault the first time, but, I guess they don't allow direct link

Tusses,

Thanks for the advice, my patience wears thin when painting, but I will try and get around to replicating at least one of the four coats on the other side. I'm going to put some shelf pins in the back panel to support the middle of the shelves because they are starting to sag.

Brianhabby,

I was considering oiling or varnishing the face frame and lipping; but SWMBO vetoed it. Filler and paint hides a lot of sins. :whistle:

It is a drawer with the knobs on it in the wardrobe in the back of the picture, the idea was that I would run the skirting around the built in wardrobes to make them look more like an 'original feature' and as they were 9" high, I thought incorporating a drawer would make good use of the space.

David

Back