Blum planes, opinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali27

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I just saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BTw8GCpOQY

Looks like a nice and solid design. The plane maker is Gary Blum.

I like the idea of being able to use very thin blades. Why would I use a thick blade that requires much more time
and effort to sharpen if I can use thin blade? I know people like to hollow grind, but with such a thin blade you don't
even need to do that.

I think the idea of how the plane blade is supported in the Blum planes, has been
used before, but I cannot really recall where I have seen it. He does have some patents.

Ali27

Looks nice but that short iron looks hard to sharpen without jigs, bit like a spokeshave iron in length. Admittedly completely possible, just hard on the thumbs. I use a wooden jointer which needs adjusting with a hammer, but for the rest of my planes I use baileys and think I would miss the ability to adjust the protrusion of the iron whilst planing.
Paddy

To me it appears to be 'fiddly'. I'm referring to removing and refitting the blade for sharpening purposes.
I once bought that ECE Premium smoother thinking that the tensioner was such a good idea. What I had overlooked was just how long it took me to remove the blade and put it back again. OK not a huge amount of time but compared to a metal Bailey or a simple wooden Plane with a wedge it seemed to be far too fiddly. I sold it and bought the ECE with the simple wedge. It was significantly quicker, even with using a tip tap hammer.
You will have to put that Blum blade into some sort of holder, yet another step.

You make a really good point Ali. I wonder how many woodworkers are out there with a huge thick plane iron but no method of grinding it reasonably quickly? I can imagine them spending hour after frustrating hour with an India stone or some coarse scary sharp paper and becoming more and more disappointed.

I guess many woodworkers have quit in disgust, and that's such a shame. If they had stuck with the thin blade that came with their Bailey plane, and stayed with sweet working temperate zone timbers, they might have built up some confidence and knowledge and still be a participant in the craft.

Latest posts

Back