Blum hinge question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a kitchen for my niece recently, which included a larder unit with two MDF doors at the top. The doors are 1150 high and 360 wide and i attached them with three Blum 170 deg clip on hinges. She has subsequently asked me to make some storage/spice racks to attach to the back of the doors which i have made today from oak. It never occurred to me until now that the hinges may not be man enough to carry the extra weight of the racks and whatever she puts in them, and i have visions of the whole lot coming loose and crashing to the floor. The spice racks are not particularly heavy as i made them from 10mm thick oak and they are only 260 wide by nearly the full height of the door, but they are deep enough to add bottles of fluids, which she almost certainly will. Should i be worried and what can i do to add more stability? The only thing i can think of now is to add 2 more hinges per door. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Nev. I had already looked at that chart and could have just about got away with two hinges, but i decided to add three when i built it. I didn't however consider the extra weight of the spice racks. If they were just for spice jars, i wouldn't be too worried, but they will have bottles of oil and stuff in them. The racks are 90mm at the bottom, reducing to 60mm half way up, with two shelves each side deep enough for bottles. So at least four bottles in each rack i'd imagine.

Check hafele's website as it's normally pretty good for providing weight ratings for the hardware they sell.
I'd add extra hinges and if you're still worried, a small chain to 'catch' the door if the hinges come loose.
That being said, it should just be a case of keeping an eye on the hinges every six months or so, check they're still secure etc

I've just done one of these and used 5 hinges.
For peace of mind I would probably add a couple more.

One thing to keep in mind though...
I fitted the doors on 155degree hinges, the spice racks interfered with these when closing the door so check the clearances etc.

oakfield":2piwdgyi said:
I've just done one of these and used 5 hinges.
For peace of mind I would probably add a couple more.

One thing to keep in mind though...
I fitted the doors on 155degree hinges, the spice racks interfered with these when closing the door so check the clearances etc.

Thanks Oakfield. I have already checked the clearances with the door in open and shut position and it should be fine. It was just the weight issue i was worried about and you have backed up what i was thinking, which is to add 2 more hinges per door. Cheers!

Back