Blatent showing off 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgerbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
I cut the Indian Chief "Cochese" for a colleague who is mad keen on the Wild West. He loved it.

This is a Gary Browning pattern and was cut on 3/4" English Oak (complete with bark on the right hand side) and finished with Danish Oil.

Attachments

• Cochese.jpg
    Cochese.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 973
I seem to think he did Graham. I think one of Ric Burns' brilliant documentaries had some pictures of the old west and it seems to look pretty familiar?

Like it very much,I think that the eyes are spot on.It would be nice to say who designed the pattern,we all get praise at times for the finished project.If we say who designed the pattern they would get some praise also for the great patterns they produce for us to enjoy this fabulous hobby.

Bryan

toesy":2wevmr1n said:
Wow, is it me or is that one scary indian...

Wish I had the patience to do this type of work....one day

I've done a few of this type of thing toesy. The secret to cutting out these things is to see them as a series of different shapes. Drill a tiny hole in each shape just big enough to thread your blade through and cut out the shape. Take your time and do a bit at a time and just cut out the little shape you've selected. After 1/2 hour of so go off and do something mindless then have another go. Don't envisage the whole thing just look at the small, silly shaped shape you are cutting out. Before you know where you are it starts to look like something which encourages you to press on to the next little shape :wink:

I must admit that I am not a great fan of scrolled portraits and think of them more as the field of our American cousins.
That image though is striking and incredibly well cut and has changed my mind.
I would be very proud to have cut that and have it on my wall.
Great work.

Are you not keen on scrolled portraits 'because' they are American? Surely, you either like something or you don't irrespective of where it came from or have I read your comments incorrectly?

Thank you for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

Yes, Gary Browning has produced a very nice portrait and I have to say it wasn't really that difficult to cut, honest. I just gently cut out each segment and eventually when I stood back from it I could see what I'd cut.

I agree with you in that I'm not really a lover of portraits per se but this was cut for a colleague who I knew would appreciate it. The trouble with making gifts like these is that you never get to hang 'em on your wall . . . . although I have to say I wouldn't have cut this for myself as I don't have much interest in the wild west.

Barry

Hi Barry, you just read me wrong, I love American stuff and often buy patterns from the USA!
What I meant was that scrollsaw portraits seem to be more popular in the US and because most of the patterns available seem to be of American subjects, scenes, stars etc I always think of them as something that is preferred over there more than here due to the American subject matter. I sometimes get the wooden teddy bear catalogue and whilst I admire some of the patterns I wouldn't want them on my wall. Horses for courses I suppose. I don't often see scrolled portraits at craft fairs either but photos of American craft stalls show them to be much more popular over the water. I'll shut up now before I dig a deeper hole!
In short, I would be happy to have your picture on my wall!
Phil

redmoorphil":1pe7gr66 said:
Hi Barry, you just read me wrong, I love American stuff and often buy patterns from the USA!
What I meant was that scrollsaw portraits seem to be more popular in the US and because most of the patterns available seem to be of American subjects, scenes, stars etc I always think of them as something that is preferred over there more than here due to the American subject matter. I sometimes get the wooden teddy bear catalogue and whilst I admire some of the patterns I wouldn't want them on my wall. Horses for courses I suppose. I don't often see scrolled portraits at craft fairs either but photos of American craft stalls show them to be much more popular over the water. I'll shut up now before I dig a deeper hole!
In short, I would be happy to have your picture on my wall!
Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for clearing my up my misinterpretation.

You're quite right they do seem to produce a lot of stuff themed for the home market and the scenes and portraits do seem very popular.

No need to "shut up now" Phil :wink: . . . I misunderstood your original comment about the Americans as a criticism and we've chewed the fat over that :eek:ccasion5: . . . you be as verbal as you like chum.

Thank you for the compliment about hanging it on the wall . . . . as I gave it away as a gift I guess the nearest we're gonna get to hanging it on the wall is to print out the picture ha, ha, ha.

Take care

Barry

Latest posts

Back