Blacksmithing - Just for a change...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
For Christmas this year, I got a weekends blacksmithing course from the missus. The course was last weekend and was fantastic.

The frequenters of this forum being a practical lot, I thought I'd spread the word. OK, it's not woodworking, but it something that could easily be integrated into a lot of carpentry work.

The courses are run by Peat Oberon. He teaches all over the world, and is very good at it too. On the basic course, you make three separate pieces, increasing in complexity. The pictures are below. The course is very informal and friendly. Everything is provided, even plenty of tea!!

Info on the courses can be found at this link:
http://www.school-of-blacksmithing.co.uk/

allPieces.jpg
ratsTail.jpg

head1.jpg
head2.jpg

Again, I would really recommend the course. It gives you a whole new appreciation for gates!!

Andy

Very nice pieces.

Sounds like you had fun!

Adam

Thank you :oops:

One of the nice things about the course is that Peat, the teacher, has developed the course content very well, it having evolved over many years. You are taken through all the stages, so it's a lot easier to get good results.

It's just such a different way of working with a material. In one of the pieces, to get easy access to one part of the metal, you just knock the other bits out of the way, then knock them back into alignment when you need them. It takes the first few days to get used to taking advantage of the forgiving quality of the metal.

We only had 7 on our course, the maximum being 8 I think. So, there is plenty of opportunity to ask for help :)

Andy

Well Done Andy,
Blacksmithing was part of my apprenticeship, many years ago, it always please's me when I get the oppotunity to play at the forge.

Bean

Excellent stuff Andy :D
Like the poker, i think the simple stuff often looks more elegant.
I would love my own forge to play around with!

I used to make my own scrolls for gates and stuff, but it can be quite time consuming, so buy it all in ready made. Its amazing the parts you can get off the shelf!
http://www.brindley-steel-forging.co.uk/shop/index.htm

Nice work Andy.
What finish did you do them with? As a child I use to black lead the grate with zebrite polish.
Suffolk latches and ornate tee hinges next?

Bean,
You've got your own forge? It really is tempting... But I think space might be an issue :)

Hitch,
Hearths are available from Peat. You can get them all made up, or as a kit. He also sells tools.
That link looks great, I'll add it to the bookmarks.

Sawdust Producer,
No finish yet, just straight from the forge. The hanging basket hook will need something quite protective, but the other items can apparently just be waxed. I'll have to look into that one a bit more.

Andy

Bean,
You've got your own forge?
...............I wish !!

My Brother in Law has a complete forge in his garden, without tools sadly I think he binned them. I am always trying to get him to let me fire it up, but his wife want to put flowers in it :shock:

I have access to a couple of forges, one at a local school, and one at a suppliers I use, who give you free access when he does not use it.
Check out your schools to see if they do anything.

I like the delicate touch needed, its not just a big bash with a hammer as you now know.

Bean

Latest posts

Back