Bit of advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spasm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can i have a bit of advice please, i've been given some planks of sycamore to turn into platters, as they are in plank form i'm going to get the bige'st platters out of the wood. the first platter is going to be about 15.5 inches round and an inch and three quarters thick.

I have a sip lathe the one with the cast iron bed and legs, however i'm a little worried about putting this blank on the lathe as it is still square 'ish' do you guys think putting this on the lathe to cut round would be a bad idea, i do have the option of getting it cut round on a band saw if I like, but as my friend is a busy person this would inconviniunse him a bit not that he would mind to much.

Rob

HI

I always air on the side of safety. You could turn it to the round on the lathe however this would not be your safest option. If the blanks are only 1.5 inches thick why not cut the corners off with a jig saw.

You only have to catch you hand once on a sharp corner and you could loose a finger.

Even turning full time I would not put a square blank on the lathe unless it was necessary ( to make a square bowl).

be safe a get a cheap jig saw and cut the corners off.

If I were doing the same then would take the option of the band saw. All you have to do is to mark the round you want and it's a doddle and very quick to do. If the band saw has a circle cutting jig on it then easier still. Just remember to mark the exact centre of the circle while it's still square, if that makes sense?

Hi Rob,

No doubt about it, get the blank as round as possible before mounting it on the lathe. As mentioned a bandsaw is the easiest option - but only if you own one!!! Power tools would make pretty light work of it but if you don't have these then cut as even a hex/oct/non/dec-agon (don't know any more than that!!) you can with a handsaw. This makes it safer on the fingers and also better balenced for the lathe. Don't forget to start off on the slowest speed too!!!!

Cheers

Richard

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, I'll ehter cut it by hand as round as poss or i'll get it bandsaw'd round once again thank's.

Rob

Latest posts

Back