Bisaigue/mortice axe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Still on the subject of cutting big mortics in big frames, has any one ever used a mortice axe (bisaigue in french) I never heard an convincing explanation of how they were used to do mortices. Looking at a bisiague it looks to have a "pig stick" mortice chisel point one end and a bevelled chisel point the other.
Was it used like a giant twybill in some way.
Can any one from France or any where offer any insight to this topic please?
Cheers Mr Spanton :)

Hi Mr Spanton,
I can only offer a little info which doesn't amount to much. I have seen a bisaigue in action, thoug never used one myself, to do the large grooves on the underside of logs to build a log cabin-style building, as well as to clean up tenons or housed dovetails. It was held by the perpendicular handle, and the unused end was leaned against the forearm; the business end was rammed into the work. The person who used it also cleaned up mortises but they were initially done with a brace (by your's truly :) ), so I have no idea how it might be used other than to clean up the ends and sides of the drilled out mortise. I've heard the word "twybill" as an equivalent for bisaigue, although I don't know anything about a twybill so I can't really say more.

Hi Frank :)
Thanks for your reply. I saw somewhre on the web where they used a bisaigue for log building. In fact I saw a picture yesterday of a sort of drawknife with a very small gouge type radius in the centre which was designed to do those log grooves. What intrigues me is when you see old prints showing carpenters using them clearly for mortices. I think mortise axs were common for the american pioneers, swedish german etc. I will look out for some old boys in france next time I visit and ask if they know anything :wink:
Cheers Mr Spanton :D

Back