Birdseye Maple

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given a piece of “Birdseye” Maple to make a little clock, what in your opinion, is the best way to show off the “Eyes”, without darkening the wood too much, a matt or semi-gloss finish is required, the snag is that there are no spare pieces to practise on and this is my first encounter with this type of wood.
All suggestions gratefully received.
T.I.A.
pip

Pretty much any oil based Varnish is excellent at showing off the grain. Something to do with oil, wood and the index of refraction. Most oil based varnishes have a tendency to Yellow slightly, that can be either good or bad dependent on the effect that you are after.
Failing that straight clear Shellac isn't bad.

Thanks a lot Mignal, sorry I'm late replying, but been having trouble with internet connection
pip

I've always found shellac best on highly figured woods, applied with a rubber. Oil 2nd best but perhaps depends on how its applied.

Pat

I have to disagree Collie. I've done the side by side test between an Oil Varnish and Shellac (French Polished). I've done it many times and on various woods. Oil wins every time.

Looks like I'll have to try shellac on one face and oil on the other any suggestions for the oil? ie. Lemon oil boiled linseed etc.?
T.I.A.
pip

MIGNAL":21fo7f9t said:
I have to disagree Collie. I've done the side by side test between an Oil Varnish and Shellac (French Polished). I've done it many times and on various woods. Oil wins every time.
should that read OIL VARNISH in the last line?

Oil or oil varnish, both have the property of popping the grain. Oil or Danish Oil does not really build into a full gloss finish. I suppose it is possible to do so but you would require dozens of coats, not to mention months of drying time.
What I refer to as an oil Varnish contains both Oil and a relatively high proportion of resin. These are old style coach varnishes or their modern equivalents eg. Spar or Yacht Varnish.

For the clock I would simply use a few applications of Danish oil, especially since a non gloss finish is required.
The difference between Shellac and Oil isn't exactly night and day. You probably need them side by side to see the difference, maintaining a similar level of gloss on both samples.
At the end of the day, both work.

Tried a coat of shelac sanding sealer, (it's what I had in), seems to be o'k so far, will be ordering some more to carry out a decent trial for future reference.
Thanks all,
pip

Back