Birch plywood flaming effect problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claptonkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just come to the end of fitting a coffee bar in a new shop and the client is unhappy with one of the plywood panels on display.

The panel in question has a kind of flaming effect at the bottom and the client wants it replaced with a more uniformly-grained bit of ply.

I've attached a photo of the shelving - the dodgy panel is on the bottom left. Brown staining at the bottom of the ply.

It's going to be pretty awkward removing the panel since the carcass has been biscuited together and dominoed to the adjoining run of cabinets.

So, my question - is there any way of calming down these 'flames' with any knid of product/stain/ or technique? I'm not looking forward to knocking the thing apart and would love to know if this can be avoided.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Karl

Attachments

• Image118.jpg
    Image118.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 600
Bleraching would be worth a try but it may make it stand out from the rest, if you have an offcut with teh stain try that first and remember whatever it looks like its likely to change again when you appy the finish.

J

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jason - So, household bleach applied with an artist's brush? And leave for a while?

Matt - And the Aeroply - apply it with contact adhesive in situ? And would you know of any suppliers in the London area?

Thanks for your advice.

won't this sand out? looks like staining rather than a feature of the grain....

Back