Birch Ply - Another question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I am laying a birch ply floating floor in the w/shop.

I intend to coat it with a matt clear floor varnish with no other prep or sanding etc prior to use. (the no sanding is not being lazy but intended to keep some of the timber's natural 'grip').

Any comments on this as an approach?

Simon.

Simon,
At a guess, the fuzzy bits will quickly wear where there is traffic and you'll be down to bare wood in the worn bits. These will collect dirt etc.

My approach would be fully to prepare it for finishing and then apply several coats of a suitable floor finish.

I'm with Chris. If you want a floor to have grip you won't get it this way. The finish on the high spots will soon wear and then anyone walking across the floor will grind dirt/moisture into the open grain which will not only look unsightly, but also accellerate the decline in the surface finish of the rest of the floor. It will also require more finishing material to coat an unsanded floor. You might as well leave the floor untreated or go to an easily repairable oil finish such as boiled linseed oil. Also to finish a high traffic floor properly (i.e. make it durable) requires 3 to 4 coats of finish, denibbed between coats. Retail shops can require up to 6 or more coats and still need annual or bi-annual refinishing around entrances and high traffic areas.

Scrit

I finished my floor with floor paint, which I thought would be great, and until recently it has been. However following a large bout of waxing (double bed and wardrobe in waxed Oak), it has now turned into something akin to an ice rink, just from the dry wax dust and other droppings getting to the floor.

Looks like I'm going to have to strip the floor back and apply something with some grit/fine sand in it. :evil: Anyway the point I'm getting to is that I think you should consider carefully before applying a smooth finish to your floor - unless you are thinking about taking up all weather curling :D

Back