Best Skype style video calling software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
All

My MIL is gagging to get some kind of software installed so she can call up and see our daughter (they live in Kent, us oop North) so she is pestering me to 'sort out skpe, or something'.

I am doing a bit of googling, and MSC and Yahoo all allow video calls but I was wondering if there is a particularly good one out there that you are using?

It has to be fairly simple to use as she's competent but no computer genius. Also, I will have to talk her through installing it so can't be mega difficult.

Cheers

Mark

You could try, err, Skype?
Been using it for years for calling all over the world. Simple and works well.

Noel":229k6dab said:
Yeah, I appreciate that, but am wondering whether there are any better!

Just because they're the biggest name doesn't always mean they're the best, as 15 years in IT have taught me.

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

I just use MSN messenger and a webcam with a built in microphone etc always worked for me, I've had no problems.

Regards

Steve :)

TrimTheKing":17ntr9ua said:
Noel":17ntr9ua said:
Yeah, I appreciate that, but am wondering whether there are any better!

Just because they're the biggest name doesn't always mean they're the best, as 15 years in IT have taught me.

Cheers

Mark

You don't need anything better IMO Mark and best of all, it's free software and free calls.

Smoothness of video depends on computer capability and the ISP connection etc. Just have to get used to the slight time lag.

We've also used it for years including to Australia & NZ and used a netbook to contact the kids here from Sydney without problems. we used the free MacDonalds access in OZ (didn't even buy any burgers)

Try it out - you can easily remove it if you want later.

Bob

We had Widows Messenger to talk to our daughter in Majorca but after a while the connection degraded so she tried Skype. we did the same and it has been much better, and it is very simple,we even get notification when our daughter is on line.

+1 for Skype. Use it a couple of times a week to video-call my elderly parents (in their 80s) 'up north', no problem.

Pete

+2
My mum is 80, very frail, but even she can use Skype. I also talk to DaveR regularly and the quality is excellent ( usually). Bandwidth is the only real concern - if that is good then it works great.
S

Slight hijack

My Mrs runs up vast phone bills talking to he sister in Spain
And this Skype thingy has been in the back of my mind

Do I just need a cheap headset (amazon have them at £4) & a camera (£15) plus download free Skype ??

Seems too good to be true - am I missing summat??
Do the devices just plug into a USB socket??

Thanks Steve

Am off to Amazon now

Will be passing your place at about 20.15 tonight but will be overhead enroute from Aberdeen to EMA - home for the week after 12 days consecutive work.

I MUST make time to visit you soon.

Hi,

Give me a shout when you are going, and I will pop over as well.

Pete

Hi, Steve

That’s bad news, can't you barricade your self in the workshop?

Pete

Following this thread I have just installed skype and got my sister in Brussels to do so as well. Its very good and cannot understand why I didn't do it earlier.

Russell":1ew2v06s said:
Following this thread I have just installed skype and got my sister in Brussels to do so as well. Its very good and cannot understand why I didn't do it earlier.
Me too, except the fact that my bl00dy camera, which worked fine before it went into storage, now shows no picture but the audio is fine!

Need a new one :(

lurker":2b71k24w said:
Will be passing your place at about 20.15 tonight but will be overhead enroute from Aberdeen to EMA

Well, I went outside an waved up, but I didn't see you waving back, you miserable old pipper! :) Mind you, I don't have my eyes in so you could be standing in front of me waving a red flag and I still wouldn't see you, so I might just be persuaded to give you the benefit of the doubt.

S
PS I've still got your screws from Tom.

Latest posts

Back