Best finish for high gloss white table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabeta279

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Am planning to build a new dressing table for my wife and she'd like it to be high gloss white finish.

I'd appreciate some advice on the best way to achieve this finish.

Am currently thinking:

- mdf (I know, but it'll save time and effort filling grain etc)
- 2-3 coats of primer thinned to 50:50
- 2-3 coats of white gloss paint 50:50 brushed on
- sand between each coat and final one up to 1200 grit
- rustins plastic coating or varnish
- sand again up to 1200 grit
- buff with polishing compound

Any corrections or improvements much appreciated.

In particular I'd be keen for advice on varnish, shellac, PC etc. it obviously needs to be pretty tough and heat resistance wouldn't go amiss in case any curling tongs etc drop on.

Probably also wants to be resistant to alcohol and acetone in case of perfume spillage, nail varnish remover etc.

I know that Morrells 2K PU would be ideal for this but it needs to be sprayed and requires an air fed mask. Tough as old boots though. :wink:

This might sound crass and get me driven out of dodge, but could you incorporate a piece of white kitchen worktop for your top ?

The toughest gloss paints I know of are tikkurila miranol or Sikkens xd. You are thinking too many coats . 2 x oil primer and two tops with good flat ting back between coats will be rock hard. Other route is get some nice timber and use a tinted translucent whit tikkurila kiva lacquer. That's all waterbased.

Back