Bessey Axminster deal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's been several cases over the years where a pricing mistake has been made, on the net and the shop window. Vendor has full rights not to comply with sale although if the goods are shipped vendor generally doesn't bother trying to retreive missing funds. Last instance I saw was a £2,000.00 plasma listed at £2.00 and Argos (I think) defended the case in court after a punter issued proceedings and Argos won.

Axminster T & C:
Every effort is made to ensure that our prices and descriptions are accurate at the time of going to press. If an error is found or if manufacturer's prices or products change, we will inform you as soon as possible and offer you the option of cancelling your order or reconfirming your order with the revised price or product. We are under no obligation to provide goods to you at an incorrect (lower) price if the pricing error is obvious and could reasonably have been recognised by you as a pricing error.
Ain't obvious to me..............

Hope you all get the bargains you ordered at the advertised price.

Do not want to put a dampener on anyones expectation but some mentions made relating to Trading Standards and Sale of Goods act.

For what its worth I believe the following applies:

Under law, a retailer is entitled to decide the price he wants to charge for his goods.
The price on display is simply what the law calls an 'invitation to treat'. In the same way you don't have to buy goods from anyone, a retailer is under no obligation to sell you anything.
You cannot insist that a shop sells you anything at a marked price, whether or not they have made a mistake.

The law does not allow prices to be fixed and, contrary to common belief, goods are not subject to price controls.

If it is an incorrect price I suspect Axminster will honour it - at least for those that have placed an order while goods in stock.

Good luck (still seems to me a hell of a price for clamps!)

Tony

Also from Trade Descriptions Act.

Any description of goods that you sell or hire must be accurate.

That description could be:

in writing, for example in an advertisement
in an illustration, for example on packaging
given orally, for example in a sales pitch
The description itself covers a range of factors, including:

quantity and size
composition
method, place and date of manufacture
fitness for stated purpose
endorsements by people or organisations

and from sale of goods act

Describing goods inaccurately means the customer may have a claim against you for breach of contract and may put you in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act.

I think the point is that they are perfectly entitled to refuse to sell you the item unless they have taken money. In Adam's case where they have obviously taken money, a contract has been entered into by both parties. If Axminster do not provide the goods exactly as described, they will be in breach of contract and also the trade descriptions act.

Let's not get carried away here - it's a good price and I took advantage of the offer (thanks BHT). But I still doubt Axminster will lose much if anything if it's turns out to be a pricing mistake - it's not like they were going for a penny - £52 is still a fair amount of money for a few clamps in my book.
Cheers
Gidon

Well, i've succumbed to Bessey clamps at last - finally they seem to be worth the money :lol:

Tony":30sq7jeq said:
Well, i've succumbed to Bessey clamps at last - finally they seem to be worth the money :lol:
Knock me down with a feather :shock: :lol:
Welcome to "Club Bessey", Mate :twisted:
Philly :D

Well i ordered some too ...

Lets see what happens :)

Phil

Hi

There is certainly something odd going on here because when I bought my K100 replacements for the axminster dogy ones I paid £32 each and now they are £38 and although there was an offer on it didn't work out as much of a saving unless you really wanted the duo clamps, can't remember what it was though. Oh well, timing is everything it seems.

Cheers Alan

Alan - the duo klamps are quite nifty actually. I'm pretty pleased with the deal - but am surprised how much heavier the k body's are compared to my uniklamps.
Cheers
Gidon

Philly":j7szoqth said:
Tony":j7szoqth said:
Knock me down with a feather :shock: :lol:
Welcome to "Club Bessey", Mate :twisted:
Philly :D

I'll be splashing out on Festool next :oops: :wink: :lol: :lol: (maybe not)

Alf, sorry to let the side down :oops:

Back