Bench Morticer/Pillar Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am looking to buy a Bench Pillar Drill with at least 80mm spindle travel but have found the bigger the spindle travel the pricer they are, the pillar drill is for drilling pen blanks and my pillar drill only has a spindle travel of 50mm. Then I was looking at a Bench Top Morticer and while I was reading the write up about the Morticer it said it comes with a drill chuck & key and that you can turn the morticer into a bench pillar drill with a drilling capacity of 135mm,but the morticer only has one speed plus I have been after a morticer but didn't know that they turned into a pillar drill. Advice on the subject would be much appreciated.

Carl

Pro:
As long as you're not intending to drill holes very much larger than the maximum chisel size of the morticer then using the morticer as a drill would be a much better solution than using a drill as a morticer. Drill presses aren't built for that kind of stress. DAMHIKT.

Con:
You might find it a little on the slow side for drilling small holes, assuming the chuck will grip small bits, though you can get round that with a pin chuck.
The table on the morticer will be smaller than that of a drill press, so you will be limited as to how far from the edge you can make holes.

Thanks for the reply

Some good advice and its helped me to make up my mind, I think I will be buying a drill press,Thank You Once Again.

Carl

Hi Carl
I had same problem ,so bought the Perform morticer from Axminsters.Its set to drill pen blanks which it does very well and squarly.
Gary

Back