Beginners' Results

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
At long last, here are the first results of our competition and as previously mentioned, they are based on the combined results of the forum members public poll and the judges' deliberations. Judges comments have been included in some detail here but they have been edited by me so if you feel the need to throw brickbats aim them at me. Any thanks for the insights go to the judges.

These results cover the Beginners section only - Improvers and Advanced results will follow.

Many congratulations to Darren, mr, Stix and Robert MP who take the first four places. A single percentage point covered the final rankings of those listed as second equal.

Darren claims the £100 first prize and if the others will PM me with their preferred choice of a prize from those listed as second third and fourth prizes (2. Hardwood turning banks 3. Veritas edging plane 4. Workbench Book ) I'll see if by some miracle it all works out - otherwise who gets what will be decided by a cunning random number generator. :lol:

Many thanks to all those brave souls who entered the comp. If you didn't win here, better luck in Part 2 - you will be entering that won't you??

Amazed :D

Congratulations to darren, mr and styx!

Reading the comments was interesting. My begginer status extends to my use of terminology and i clearly used the wrong term in my design thread.

Holding the door and carcase panels in rebates is unconventional and reduces the strength of the framing. Grooves are normal for this.

The sketchup file at the end of the design thread that can be downloaded shows all the panels are in grooves not rebates as I mistakenly called them :)

No complaints here. I've enjoyed participating and have done much better than I expected!

Thanks very much to all the Judges and those who voted... I'm abit stunned really.

I can see a wasted day at work tomorrow looking at shiney new tools :D

Just hope I don't screw up the build :wink:. Speaking of which... I should start that WIP thread going.

Thanks Again

Darren

PS: I must work out how to rotate the texture pattern on those draws :D

Well done Darren for winning,and to the runner ups.
Just like to say a thank you to those who kindly voted for my entry.
Thanks also to the judges for pointing out my silly errors on the design,stand out a mile when pointed out by the pros.
Must say though that the bench as been finished for some time now and as been out in all this rain and the draw is still running smoothly,and there is no black staining on the inside.
Though the draw was designed to just have bits and bobs put in that are used during the so called summer months :roll: nothing permanent.
And i did use Oak for the seat,which i should have pointed out.
The ply was going to have a cushioned seat,which i also should have pointed out in the design.Again silly errors :roll:
Paul.J.

Congratulations Darren on first place and well done to all those who entred.

I'm really pleased to have finished in the top 4 :D A big thanks to all those who voted for my design.

Thanks too for the feedback from the judges. My design has changed a fair bit since the initial submission but I didn't manage to do it in time for the final submission. I think I have addressed most of the issues but I'm sure more will crop up as I go through the build.

Cheers
Steve

Congrats all and thanks to the judges, I'm really rather surprised given the quality of the other designs
Also thanks for the critique which will be handy when I get round to making the thing :)
Cheers Mike

Back