Beginners heavyduty(ish) workbench design on a budget.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":4ah5bm52 said:
Vikash":4ah5bm52 said:
There's a significant cost difference between MDF and plywood for the top and shelf considering I'll need 2 8x4 sheets (~£50) - so I'm still keen on going the MDF route. Would sealing everything with PVA or varnish not be sufficient?

I've posted this picture before but, in case you haven't seen it, here's my bench with an MDF top

Workbench1.jpg

I used three layers of 18mm MDF, individually lipped with softwood, then glued together. I just wax it now and then. It's lasted over 10 years and still looks as good as new - and it's remained dead flat.

Not sure what you want to use your bench for but for woodworking I think MDF is a good choice and better than plywood.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul,
I've just sent you an email regarding your bench top before I realised I could quote your post on the site,so,without repeating the email too much, I just wanted to know what your initial treatment of the top layer of mdf was and also is there any truth in needing to treat the underneath of the first layer of mdf to avoid bowing? This is my first workbench build and whilst researching the project I kept coming across your build and your top still looks brand new,I'm hoping to achieve the same.appreciate any help.richard.

Richiet":1o4x78bn said:
Paul Chapman":1o4x78bn said:
Vikash":1o4x78bn said:
There's a significant cost difference between MDF and plywood for the top and shelf considering I'll need 2 8x4 sheets (~£50) - so I'm still keen on going the MDF route. Would sealing everything with PVA or varnish not be sufficient?

I've posted this picture before but, in case you haven't seen it, here's my bench with an MDF top

Workbench1.jpg

I used three layers of 18mm MDF, individually lipped with softwood, then glued together. I just wax it now and then. It's lasted over 10 years and still looks as good as new - and it's remained dead flat.

Not sure what you want to use your bench for but for woodworking I think MDF is a good choice and better than plywood.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul,
I've just sent you an email regarding your bench top before I realised I could quote your post on the site,so,without repeating the email too much, I just wanted to know what your initial treatment of the top layer of mdf was and also is there any truth in needing to treat the underneath of the first layer of mdf to avoid bowing? This is my first workbench build and whilst researching the project I kept coming across your build and your top still looks brand new,I'm hoping to achieve the same.appreciate any help.richard.

Hello richiet, this post is more than 5 years old, you may not get an answer.
Regards Rodders

Cheers rodders, that was my worry but Paul was very quick off the mark with a reply via email. Richard.

I'd never seen this thread before (I've only been visiting this site sporadically for a few years, much more so recently) but one thing puzzles me - the "issue" of not being able to buy wood in short lengths from the builder's merchant. Why not just take a handsaw along? It's not exactly back breaking work to convert a few 4.8m lengths to 2.4m ones in the car park... They don't look at me strangely for doing so and even offer the use of a saw if necessary (aside from a few months recently where head office had told them to stop in case someone cut their own finger off and sued them!)

Hi vikash, I should probably apologise for hijacking your thread even though it's been 5 years :D ,I'm pleased I got a reply off Paul..................your bench is also a belter but is that a very small buggy or a huge bench? :D

Richiet":3n3jo288 said:
Cheers rodders, that was my worry but Paul was very quick off the mark with a reply via email. Richard.

Very pleased to hear you made contact.
Very helpful bunch on here, Regards Rodders

Back