Beginer needs guidance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjcann

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I was gifted a Myford and a box of assorted tools, together with a quantity of circ ceramic tiles with pictures, these are around 85mm dia, I would like to make them into coasters, I have some hard wood of various types for the base, my question is how to mount the blanks on the face plate, as obviously after forming the recess for the tile, there will be little thickness.
Martin

Hi

Screw a piece of MDF or ply to the face plate then use hot melt glue to secure the work to the face plate.

Draw a few pencil circles on the wooden face plate to act as a guide, (just rest a pencil on the tool rest and touch the faceplate as it is turning).

Three or four blobs of glue will be sufficient, I use a wall paper scraper with the edge sharpened to remove the work from the face plate.

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick
I did wonder about hot glue, but I was worried I might damage the edge getting it off, I will give the wallpaper scraper a go.
I shall be back with more questions, re sharpening tools as some of the gouges etc look as though they have been attacked by a blind drunk with an angle grinder, shame as they are good makes.
Martin

Ditto. Hot melt glue or double sided carpet tape for coasters. The glue comes off easily enough and wont leave marks.

I use a jig for sharpening. I'm a beginner so need to be sure my angles will always be consistent.

As said some scrap wood trued up in the chuck, blob of hot melt to hold blanks while you prepare prepare the bases.
If you make your coasters out of something like Beech and about 12mm thick you have more than enough room to have a shallow dovetail recess in the base to hold in the chuck while you finish the top and recess.
DSCN4106 (Large).JPG
DSCN4107 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4106 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4106 (Large).JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 846
  • DSCN4107 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4107 (Large).JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 846

Latest posts

Back