• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Been asked to make the following .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently made a small stage prop for someone and have now been asked to make a display case for antique coins.

First thoughts are.....Panic lol.

Second are where would I get plans for this type of item.

Third thought.... Panic LOL.

Dave

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
thecoder":26mdliej said:
I recently made a small stage prop for someone and have now been asked to make a display case for antique coins.
IIRC woodworker published a coin drawer project, although it was aimed at storage, not display.

BugBear

Edwin

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it to be a display cabinet with drawers or a single, shallow case with a transparent top that you might put on a table? Is there any requirement for the appearance - for example, solid wood showing the grain?

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Pricing? the difficult one.
You obviously dont do this for a living, however that does not mean do it for pin money.
Work out your materials costs, double that for starters.
Then guesstimate your time, add on 50%, things always take longer than you think. Give yourself a reasonable hourly rate, your call on that one.
Then add on a 20% haggle factor.
If you think your work is good enough people are willing to pay for things, if they are not it is their loss.
When I started out selling my work I put all sales money is a garage stash tin to pay for materials and tools, it is quite satisfying buying equipment like this, bit by bit I built up a well equipped workshop without draining the household budget; in the end I packed in my job and now do it for a living. Ok I work mostly in metal but the principle is the same.
I would reccomend either getting paid up front or at least getting a deposit to cover any costs before starting work. People can be tight about paying for work they have asked for.
Quite an intimidating process at first, good luck.
Chunko'.