Bee-safe Exterior protection for plywood...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have some sheets of Class II 12mm B/BB plywood sitting around and I want to make some small beehives from them - in the Beekeeping world these are known as "nucs". They may be outside all winter...

Class II is not exterior grade/marine, so needs extra protection. Further, as these boxes will contain (a lot of) bees, I have to be careful that there are no lingering solvents or things that might kill or harm bees - e.g. see Pesticide toxicity to bees - Wikipedia

They will have nice zinc roofs and I may well put WRC strips on the bottom to protect the most vulnerable bits from rot.

What do the panel suggest?

Last edited:
I have some sheets of Class II 12mm B/BB plywood sitting around and I want to make some small beehives from them - in the Beekeeping world these are known as "nucs". They may be outside all winter...

Class II is not exterior grade/marine, so needs extra protection. Further, as these boxes will contain (a lot of) bees, I have to be careful that there are no lingering solvents or things that might kill or harm bees - e.g. see Pesticide toxicity to bees - Wikipedia

They will have nice zinc roofs and I may well put WRC strips on the bottom to protect the most vulnerable bits from rot.

What do the panel suggest?

Attachments

• 79AB21BE-4F67-47FD-AD41-2A1D42A2165E.jpeg
    79AB21BE-4F67-47FD-AD41-2A1D42A2165E.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 0
Just to be clear to non-beekeepers, a nuc is not a full hive and they are actually rarely outside over-winter. They are used mainly for temporary accomodation for swarms and "splits", not for honey production etc. They are designed to be easily transportable with maybe only 5 or 6 brood frames vs the 11 or 12 of a full hive, plus they have no "supers", so are a single box.

Pretty much all nucs, even commercial ones, are made from ply (*), generally 9mm or 12mm - they are not designed for extreme conditions and the insulation and possible low-level out-gassing have never been an issue - there are probably many millions of nucs out there made exactly this way. As far as I'm aware there have never been any credible reports of bees being harmed by ply nucs (and I do read a lot of bee-related scientific journals). In my own experience of over 35 years as a beekeeper (and scientist), I've not had anything but excellent results with ply nucs.

Normal hives are made from cheap untreated softwood, e.g. deal or pine which is then painted, or for better quality hives, WRC - all my full hives are WRC though the crown boards - the internal cover for the top of the "bee accommodation" inside the roof - is always made from ply if the hive is made from any sort of wood.

Nucs and full hives are different beasts - personally I have only ever used WRC for full hives - ply is too heavy and doesn't last, but there are plenty of folk who do use ply and their bees seem pretty happy.

By choice, I'd be using class III marine ply, but that's not what I have to hand.

(*) Some nucs are now made from expanded polystyrene foam and these are very convenient and light. However, like many beekeepers, I don't like them as they are difficult to sterilise - normally a blowtorch is used on the inside of hives between uses to kill fungal spores, bacteria, wax moth larvae and other pests etc.

Beekeeping is livestock management and disease control via good hygiene practice for both equipment and Beekeeper (the main vector for disease transmission between apiaries) is vital for healthy bees.

Last edited:
T
Just to be clear to non-beekeepers, a nuc is not a full hive and they are actually rarely outside over-winter. They are used mainly for temporary accomodation for swarms and "splits", not for honey production etc. They are designed to be easily transportable with maybe only 5 or 6 brood frames vs the 11 or 12 of a full hive, plus they have no "supers", so are a single box.

Pretty much all nucs, even commercial ones, are made from ply (*), generally 9mm or 12mm - they are not designed for extreme conditions and the insulation and possible low-level out-gassing have never been an issue - there are probably many millions of nucs out there made exactly this way. As far as I'm aware there have never been any credible reports of bees being harmed by ply nucs (and I do read a lot of bee-related scientific journals). In my own experience of over 35 years as a beekeeper (and scientist), I've not had anything but excellent results with ply nucs.

Normal hives are made from cheap untreated softwood, e.g. deal or pine which is then painted, or for better quality hives, WRC - all my full hives are WRC though the crown boards - the internal cover for the top of the "bee accommodation" inside the roof - is always made from ply if the hive is made from any sort of wood.

Nucs and full hives are different beasts - personally I have only ever used WRC for full hives - ply is too heavy and doesn't last, but there are plenty of folk who do use ply and their bees seem pretty happy.

By choice, I'd be using class III marine ply, but that's not what I have to hand.

(*) Some nucs are now made from expanded polystyrene foam and these are very convenient and light. However, like many beekeepers, I don't like them as they are difficult to sterilise - normally a blowtorch is used on the inside of hives between uses to kill fungal spores, bacterial, wax moth larvae and other pests etc. Beekeeping is livestock management and disease control via good hygiene practice for both equipment and Beekeeper (the main vector for disease transmission between apiaries) is vital.
That takes me back, trying to think what my dad's was?
Polystyrene I think home made of course!

Why not use saodlin on outside, bare on inside.

Any reason not to use glass in epoxy - as you would a strip or ply built canoe? - this is a No Solvent approach

Hi on my wife’s bee hives we use Cuprinol shades paint which seems to work well and does not have anything nasty in it that affects the bees. We only ever paint the outside of hives, but do paint the landing boards and entrances which seems to be fine.

Best wishes,

Mark

Back